DO THE GB AND JWs SUFFER FROM OCD???

by DATA-DOG 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have been reading about an OCD called "scrupulosity." After observing dubbie behavior my whole life, and thinking of my own experiences, I feel like many uber-dubs could have this OCD. Here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrupulosity

This PDF is interesting.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/uploadedFiles/MainContent/Find_Help/IOCDF_Scrupulosity_fact_sheet.pdf

How can scrupulosity be distinguished from normal religious practice?

Unlike normal religious practice, scrupulous behavior usually exceeds or disregards
    religious law and may focus excessively on one trivial area of religious practice while
    other, more important areas may be completely ignored. The behavior of scrupulous
    individuals is typically inconsistent with that of the rest of the faith community.

Focusing excessively on the D2D ministry/works. Ignoring more important areas, like self improvement, life goals, community work, real charity. Think of all the strange behaviors and teachings. No tight pants. Stay with you abusive mate. Pets are false Gods. You have satanic thinking if you doubt the Big A is coming soon. Higher education is satanic, ect. This stuff comes from the collective mind of the past and present GB. Are the inmates running the asylum?

DD

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, let's put it this way, stricter religions attract more neurotic, anxious people. OCD is an anxiety coping mechanism where one finds relief in meaningless rituals. Grasping one's cross necklace or saying, "Jesus help me" throughout the day when stressed are also anxiety-coping behaviors unrelated to JWs.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am sure this applies to other religions. What about that Elder video considering suicide? Wouldn't chanting " I am an integrity keeper" over and over be similar to prayer beads or holding the cross? Field service, endless meetings, study of the publications, daily text reading..day in and day out. It seems like the leaders projecting their fears onto the sheeple. Those with similar issues are the zealots among the flock. Maybe???

DD

• KateWild
    KateWild

Interesting find DD. Many who are scrupulous JWs, definately forget about importnt things like caring for the sick, elderly and the poor in the cong. Getting time in is more important than caring for these ones. I hated seeing this kind of hypocrisy, now I can see it is a a form of OCD.

DD, do you think that now excuses their behaviour?

I suppose they have been abused themselves. Kate xx

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

What about that Elder video considering suicide? Wouldn't chanting " I am an integrity keeper" over and over be similar to prayer beads or holding the cross? Field service, endless meetings, study of the publications, daily text reading..day in and day out. It seems like the leaders projecting their fears onto the sheeple. Those with similar issues are the zealots among the flock.

Yep, no doubt. I've felt for a while that ex-JWs seriously overlook the anxiety aspect of the religion in favor of talking about stuff like control methods and narcissism. Those can be factors, sure, but we're talking about a group of people who are afraid of being destroyed when the world ends (Soon™) and they think they have to do X and Y in order to get saved.

This tense environment helps explain why people are so afraid of apostates, as well as why they are obsessive with little things. For instance, the brother leaving the stage must NOT step down until the next brother has stepped onto the platform. You just can't do that, okay?! Someone could jump up there and start ranting and raving if you leave the stage empty for even a second!

It's enough to make you start hyperventilating if you think about how tightly-wound these people are. And it all stems largely from a fear of the end of the world (doomsday phobia), which is a manifestation of thanatophobia. Couple that with low self-worth, or an ambition to please others and climb the ladder, and you get Jehovah's Witnesses.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't know if it excuses the behavior. It's a tough call.

I first heard the term "scrupulosity" on a TV show called 'Criminal Minds' that airs in the USA. The point made by one FBI Doctor was that you cannot reason with someone acting under a compulsion, because you cannot reason with with a mental disorder. Maybe that's why you cannot have a reasonable discussion with many JWs.

Maybe OCD's contribute to some people becoming Jws. Then perhaps the born-ins develope OCD's as a result? It seems to be that most awakened JWs are pretty stable emotionally and mentally. Personally I was on the verge of a breakdown when started looking into TTATT. I feel much more grounded now and I think most of my posts are less crazy. LOL!!

DD

• dog is god
    dog is god

It's just plain brainwashing...no excuses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit