Wifey is getting into audiobooks...

by Captain Obvious 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

So I'm a huge Audible fan. I'm always plowing through an audiobook about history, religion, science or money. IMO, no one could ever read/listen to my library and continue to be religious or ignorant of natural history.

Anyway, my lovely JW wife decided she might try listening to some books on her long bus ride to and from work. Being the thoughtful husband I am, I downloaded the Audible app on her phone and showed her how to use it... On my account. My recommendation for her first listen?

The Magic of Reality.

She didn't start for a few weeks, but the other night while we were getting into bed she mentions that she had started the book. She said its "interesting..." In an apprehensive way. I think she's interested in all this "true" stuff but is nervous to find out that she and everyone she knows have been wrong her whole life! Exciting times.

Anyway, thought I'd share another small successful step. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I WILL help her get out. I'm willing to play the long game, as long as it takes. She's too amazing to just give up on just because of her beliefs.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

This may not work for you but I was reading books about North Korea, FLDS, Amish and Scientology and it made me realize the JW's were very simular (cult). Then I read the books on JW's and was able to get my husband to read it by telling him things I was learning. We both came out together 19 months ago.

When I was telling my husband things I had read he would give me the canned answers and I came back to him with "that is exactly what they said you would say". It made him want to prove me wrong so he said let me read the book. It worked for me.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Very cool. Depending on your library and listening device, you can check out audiobooks from your library online. There is also a lot of public domain stuff available through Librivox.

Here's some free audio book for you.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit