JWs and catastrophic events

by ilikecheese 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

A natural disaster, a mass shooting, a building collapse, etc. I sometimes peruse JW Facebook groups or look at the public topics on JWtalk. It seems like every single time something like that happens, at least 75% of the responses contain something along the lines of "I hope all the Witnesses are okay!" Like I read a post somewhere about Sandy Hook, and most of the people were just concerned that no JW kids/educators were hurt. No real sympathy for the 20 dead kids and six adults who died trying to save them, just concern for JWs.

So I was just wondering... Do you think that's due to A) caring more about Witness people than others, B) not caring one iota about "worldly people," C) some mix, or D) something else? It's just strange because the natural response is to be concerned about EVERYONE. I'm wondering what you guys think.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I recently overheard an elder saying he can't wait to run a bulldozer in the new system and push all the dead bodies around....

It was a disgusting thing to hear.

So to answer your question, I think because of the whole "all wordly people will be destroyed at Armegeddon" belief, they discount the value of "worldly" people's lives.

Really, though, how could they not feel that way considering the belief system. In JW land, God is holding back his anger right now.

They believe that God is just chomping at the bits to destroy these people. So what's a few early casualties? No big deal.

But let something happen to a precious JW...oh it's time to wail and moan. I mean that's Gods people being hurt, not some worthless worldly person.

-Not many JWs can or will articulate their true level of disdain for their fellow man, but its just under the surface for many of them.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Youre absolutely right.. and it is Sick. As a JW this always bothered me. There would be a massive catastrophe somewhere, where tens of thousands died, and yet the announcment at the Hall is "Only 2 of our brothers were Injured" everyone would be so relieved. Almost as if the life of one Witness is more Valuable than 10,000 non witnesses.

This thinking runs deep though.. many witnesses would never acnowledge their utter disregard for their Neighbors, and they could always Justify things by thinking, "Well that's why we go house to house.. so we can save lives".

If all of the teachings and practices were accurate.. this alone would disqualify the Organization from being the "True Religion".

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

TTATTelder, and they say apostates are "mentality diseased".I truly despise the jw's illusion of superiority.I am ashamed that I probably thought like that as well.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

A JW I overheard witnessing to someone about how great our web site is: "And they have news items on there, for instance, when that school shooting happened, they were able to let us know that no Witnesses were hurt."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit