Explanation Of New Bible Translation

by Sofia Lose 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

I have been a little troubled with the explanation on the New World Translation given during Sunday's meeting. The mag read that with less words the understanding would be more clear, and offered examples where certain texts had 27 words and now only have 19 words and the meaning is clearer.

I am not okay with said explanation. How about the biblical text itself which reads that we are not supposed to alter the Word Of God? That there would be punishment for anyone that either added or took away any words?

SL

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    This religion is going the way of the Catholic Church. They have the same levels of leadership, they state that if you do not follow and do as the GB say you will die. Catholics are taught if you do not do as the Pope says your going to hell. So like them too the religion is becoming less and less about the Bible and Bible doctrine, because this gets in the way of doing just what the GB want. The Catholics have done this for 1700 years so why not do the same.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

The mag read that with less words the understanding would be more clear,

Eventually the NWT will have 1 page that reads,

FEAR the GOVERNING BODY

Less words, more clear, right?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    It's definitely screwed up. I remember looking down on paraphrased translations because they 'dumbed down' the understanding. Now the NWT has done the same thing and everyone loves it.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

The less and less educated the R&F becomes, the poorer their reading ability and comprehension will be.

"Simplifying" the Bible and literature becomes almost necessary...

...which in turn, dumbs down the membership even more...

...which, in turn, requires the Org to "simplify" them even more...

...and so on, and so forth.

x

Before too long, My Book of Bible Stories will be reduced to the WT equivalent of "Fun with Dick and Jane".

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

It's true. The only reason the bible held so much of my attention was it's complexity and mystery. Same goes for the older beliefs, I kept thinking I could uncover the mysterious logic behind our interpretations.

Now they have a simple and flat bible, for a simple and flat religion, to make a simple and flat people.

I can't imagine how dull the meetings must be now.

• Earnest
    Earnest

How about the biblical text itself which reads that we are not supposed to alter the Word Of God? That there would be punishment for anyone that either added or took away any words?

The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, not in English. Simplifying the translation has altered the number of English words used but has not the sense conveyed in the Hebrew and Greek. Of course there could be a valid discussion as to what comprises the Word of God but that has nothing to do with translation to which you refer.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Earnest,

Interesting point. However, as all things JW go, I suspect the re-writing of the WBTS bible fits in with their current agenda of doctrinal changes. Crafty.

SL

• nelim
    nelim

If less words are used and translation is simplified, then Jehovah is praised for a "better to understand" Bible.

If more words are used then Jehovah is praised for receiving a "consistently accurate" translation. Same original meaning consistently translated using the same phrases in the target language.

Whatever. Every day its own bullshit. The NWT is better called a "consistently inaccurate" translation, e.g. about worshipping Jesus (consistently "do obeisance to"). Googling "do obeisance to" gives dictionary and anti-WT sites as first 10 hits even, lol. That should say enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit