Humour

by schlick 9 Replies latest jw friends

• schlick
    schlick

It seems like the WT society makes good use of humor to lure people into the sect during the meetings, CA, annual meets, etc. Wonder does anyone else believe that is a big way for them to try to make people enjoy all the meetings.

• prologos
    prologos

humour of course is a great teaching tool, for it rewards the brain for learning, via the unexpected, novel thought.

like: END OF THE WORLD expected. but un-expected. what a laugh.

Also making light of serious issues, makes it entertaining, de-fuses the explosive, distrutive consequences, and

to quote scripture, -- have THEIR EARS TICKLED-- 2 Ti 4:3.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

A CO several years ago told some elders in our congregation that they were too uptight and conservative, and to lighten up a bit. As it stands now we've got a very easy going elder body. Our Ministerial Servants, who are like uncles to me, are a blast to be around. We crack jokes about one another, and have fun on the platform or out in the lobby. At our congregation any meeting, whether before, during or after, will generate smiles and laughs. It's weird to me because while the thought of attending a meeting causes me anxiety and occasional anger, during the course of a meeting I'm actually quite fine. Some outrageous comments and study material, or even something a speaker might say on a Sunday, will have me going, "pfahhh" to myself. Lately though I've learned to not let it ruin my day. Right now, our current CO, is a great guy. Very down to earth and humorous country boy. Have to say, I'm in a good congregation, which makes it real difficult to leave. Don't get me wrong, we still have some individuals and attitudes that can be wearisome, but they get drowned out and become background chatter due to the abundance of easy going attitudes in our congregation. That's why at times I can't entirely relate to some of the threads and posts on here as we just dont have that kind of negative mess in our congregation.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I guess if you can't beat 'em make them laugh, join 'em, indoctrinate 'em, baptize 'em, disfellowship 'em and then shun 'em. You get it?? It really is hysterical! Lol

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Any minute SFPW will be saying: " It's a dark comedy Rip..." Mark my words! Lol.

I love SFPW!!

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Its a dark comedy Rip, one might say a tragic comedy!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It seems like the WT society makes good use of humor to lure people into the sect during the meetings, CA, annual meets, etc.

Wonder does anyone else believe that is a big way for them to try to make people enjoy all the meetings.

That's why at times I can't entirely relate to some of the threads and posts on here as we just dont have that kind of negative mess in our congregation.

What Colour is your congregation Miz?..

White congregations can be extremely Tight Ass (conservative)..

You couldn`t pull a Pin out of their Ass with a Tractor..

.......................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Half white, half black, Outlaw. For a while it was mostly white when we sponsored a foreign language group that became a congregation in its own right. Since they left, its roughly an even split. Outlaw, it might be a city thing too because the times I've given talks in suburban areas, I can tell as soon as I entered the lobby how conservative it might be. I can also tell after I got done that they weren't used to a speaker like me. Even while speaking I can look out and know that I have their attention, almost hanging on my words. Dont get me wrong as I'm not bragging either. Similarly, when we would get their visiting speakers it was like watching a History Channel documentary in black and white with a robot narrating. On the other hand there are speakers we would get from predominantly white congregations in the city or only a few miles out,, and they would be lively and humorous. Not saying there's a general rule, because I've heard my fair share of boring black inner city speakers too like one brother in particular who was like Ossie Davis on valium. It's torture every time he visits.

• prologos
    prologos

what happened to the outlines, they are not funny?

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

SFPW - you are undergoing a metamorphosis - or maybe a metamorphgnosis - good stuff !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit