2 Samuel 21. WT 91.

by LucidChimp 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

I'm confused. How can they quote verses 7,8 and say that David spared Mephibosheth??

Verse 9 says he handed them all over to be killed.

"For that matter, it is proper to ask someone to show loving-kindness toward us. This was done by Jonathan, son of Israel’s first king, Saul. Jonathan asked his beloved younger friend David to show loving-kindness toward him and his household. (1 Samuel 20:14, 15; 2 Samuel 9:3-7) David remembered this when he avenged the Gibeonites wronged by Saul. Recalling “the oath of Jehovah” between him and Jonathan, David exercised loving-kindness by sparing the life of Jonathan’s son Mephibosheth. (2 Samuel 21:7, 8)"

The Watchtower 7/15 1991. Always pursue loving kindness. Page something or other.

Am I missing something here?

• oppostate
    oppostate

David spared the life of Mephibosheth son of Jonathan, the Mephibosheth in the next verse was Jonathan's brother and probably the one whom Jonathan's son was named after. David had an oath to keep towards Jonathan's progeny, not that of his brothers. That's the way things rolled back then.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for clearing that up for me bro, I'd hate to give a dub a smug-gasm by letting them correct me.

Where would we be without this wonderful moral guidebook eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit