untitled

by TheStumbler 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

I have a question.

The conventional wisdom seems to be that to 'convert' a Jehovah's witness (or get them to see TTATT) you have to ask questions that they cannot answer and engage with their true personality not their 'cult personality'.

Intellectual arguments tend to fall flat because JWs (who do not already have personal doubts) believe they already know the absolute truth so anything contrary to that truth is nessecarily wrong. Any criticism of their beliefs will be seen as an attack or persecution and will be dismissed as flawed 'human thinking' or 'apostate lies'.

To 'True Believers' any amount of contrary evidence and illogical inconsistencies in their beliefs can be dismissed or explained away. Their starting point is that they have special knowledge of absolute truth and all evidence and arguments are then weighed against this preconceived belief.

Here is my question. Have any of you had any success getting a fully indoctrinated JW to see TTATT through intellectual debate and argument? Just straight up saying 'you are wrong and this is why and here is the evidence'.

Does this approach only work on JWs who already have doubts or are at least open to the possibility that they are wrong?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Personally, I don't bother with JW's that are fully indoctrinated. I have just 2 family members still in but apparently 2.5 apologists.

I personalize their behaviour. ie: Shunning. Jesus would not shun. [End of discussion. Lights out. Good night!]

Others on the board may have more in-depth experiences to share with you, but I think your thread will get lost because there is not title/subject/heading. Maybe you can copy your opening comments into a new thread that has a title. I know you will get responses because this is a good question.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Ha! I see you already did start a new thread. LOL.

Must be past my bedtime. Goodnight!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit