Marking, Public reproof, Bad association

by jerome 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jerome
    jerome

What are the social and psychological effects which being labeled as as any of the above (Bad association, Marked, Publicly/privately reproved) bestow apon a publisher if they were to be labeled as shuch?

What is the general procedure for this to take effect?

How long does any shuch stigma attached to the label last?

jerome

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The general procedures are in the 'organized' book on Kent's site, but it is extremely watered down. Not the policy, mind you, just it's expression to anyone being a JW.

Jerome, you need to go through and read this book,a little at a time if you have to. It's boring, I know, but it's a manual of cult indoctination. If i come across any duplicates I can send them to you. It IS possible toi become a Jehovah's Witness and have no idea these things can happen to you or that you must do these things someday.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, the only label I ever attained was Private Reproof, which is supposed to be for those for have sinned but are excruciatingly repentant. It is supposed to be totally confidential....but of course, the whole congregation knew all the details of my "sin" within hours.

Someone on reproof is not shunned, but they cannot answer at meetings (which I hated, anyway, because the answers were boring and repetitious and I was very shy), cannot give talks (once again....no biggie), and cannot offer prayer (and being female, this one was not an option, anyway).

Reproof is not supposed to be particularly long lasting, but, in my case, they simply "forgot" to tell me that the restrictions were removed....so I kept on observing all the protocol long after it had ceased to be in effect.

Don't know too much about the others except that someone labelled "Bad Association" or "Marked" were looked upon as rebels, and, therefore, somewhat tittilating. Of course, one would never admit this, and would avoid the rebels if at all possible.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Oh, yes....the psychological impact. Well, considering that everyone knew my "sin", I felt absolutely humiliated and guilt-ridden. It was obvious that I was the focus of congregation gossip for a rather long time.

• Latte
    Latte

I knew someone who was reproved for adultery, has the usual 'restraints' put on him, only for the whole family to move cong. (the couple reconciled) and guess what?? All is well again in the new hall, noone knows of the going's on, all is well. Didn't seem right to me back then, maybe he was quickly made a 'servant' again!

Latte

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Barbara Harrison's book goes into great detail on the effects of the various degrees of 'shunning'; the best thing to do with her book is to cut and paste the chapters one by one into one big word file and then you can 'search' for things. The same is true of a lot of books like these.

Watchtower admits that the whole idea behind marking, reproving, and full-fledged 'shunning' is shame and 'protection from uncleaness'. (translation, more shame). JW's are really under the impression that expulsion/shunning never takes place without good reason (gag).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit