1 Cor 2 v 14?

by LucidChimp 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

A loved one of mine who is now "out" mentally (and waiting patiently on other family members so they can get "out" physically too) pointed this change out to me after an assembly day just recently. Not being one of The Chosen Few who carry around the new Silver Spoon - they noticed the difference in their old bible as the speaker was reading from the new one.

NWT: But a physical man does not recieve the things of the spirit of God (1 Cor 2 v 14)

RNWT: But a physical man does not accept the things of the spirit of God (1 Cor 2 v 14)

Seems an excessively accusatory change (however minor) given that the verse goes on to say "he cannot get to know". (I see the NIV does the same thing)

Anyone who knows Greek and can comment on the word that's being translated would be spiffing... As much as the words (in English at least) are interchangable in some contexts - this doesn't seem (to me) to be one of those times. A difference here could effect doctrine, or doctrine effect translation, no?

I'm quite happy to be corrected.

• designs
    designs

Seems to follow the GBs way of dishing "food" to the JWs. We were never asked to "receive" their written and verbal commands but to accept them as if from God.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

From the Greek word dechomai which means,

to take with the hand

1. to take hold of, take up
    2. to take up, receive
      1. used of a place receiving one
      2. to receive or grant access to, a visitor, not to refuse intercourse or friendship
        1. to receive hospitality
        2. to receive into one's family to bring up or educate
      3. of the thing offered in speaking, teaching, instructing
        1. to receive favourably, give ear to, embrace, make one's own, approve, not to reject
      4. to receive. i.e. to take upon one's self, sustain, bear, endure
    3. to receive, get
      1. to learn

Take your pick.

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

They did the same thing with Acts 17:11 where the Boereans "accepted the word"

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

@The Searcher: Cheers mate.

I guess the revision is better. Whodathunkit.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

BDAG's definition for dechomai of things: To indicate approval or conviction by accepting, be receptive of, be open to, approve, accept.

AMG's dictionary has, "To accept an offer deliberately and readily. To take to oneself what is presented or brought by another, to receive."

Louw & Nida's definition: "To receive or accept an object or benefit for which the initiative rests with the giver, but the focus of attention in the transfer is upon the receiver."

Any differing nuance between "receive" and "accept" might depend more on the mood of the translator or his own experience. I don't see where the dictionaries make any difference in the words.

Of course, now that it has been changed, others are now authorized to drool over the wisdom in making the change. But woe to the one who, prior to the revision, dared to suggest that "receive" would be better translated "accept."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit