How do you feel about the Red Letters?

by zophar 6 Replies latest jw friends

• zophar
    zophar

Curious as to how you feel about the actual words ascribed to Jesus in a red letter edition translation Bible like NIV on biblegateway.com?

Do you feel these teachings are inspired and or beneficial to a productive life? It seems to me that the actual words of Jesus contain real wisdom and show how to live a fulfilling life.

What do you think?

Could close adherence to these sayings be "The Truth" and not all the rules of an organization?

• nelim
    nelim
    Relating adherence to "Truth" is already deep into dangerous territory. Elaborating: truth is all things which are true. Personally, you may adhere to whatever you like, but if you preach that to others it tends to get into an organization pretty quickly with all the dogmatism associated with that. That's because sayings of Jesus are not consistent, so it depends on which parts you put more emphasis, what your religion/adherence/whatever is going to look like in practice. Calling this "Truth" means you're denying inconsistencies. Which means critical thinking has been turned off, which opens the door for mind control.
  • galaxie
    galaxie
    " Actual words of jesus " ...is an erroneous and presumptuous statement. There is ZERO proof of anything jesus said , and dubious proof ' that ' jesus even existed.
  • zophar
    zophar

Galaxie

That's why I said the words "ascribed" to Jesus earlier in the post. The words are there in a book, how does one feel about the content regardless of who spoke them?

Certainly no intent to be presumptuous just interested in opinions of others.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi zophar..please read your 2nd paragraph "seems to me the ' actual words of jesus ' etc' " . Yes I agree ' ascribed 'is accurate.

Best wishes.

• zophar
    zophar

Galaxie

I should have repeated myself in that 2nd paragraph. That's the problem when I let my typing do my talking!

No problems.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    It just makes it that much easier to see how the perfect slave would speak, and to speak accordingly so you can become a better slave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit