Milgram's Obedience to Authority

by PlatinumFix 4 Replies latest jw friends

• PlatinumFix
    PlatinumFix

Interesting video to watch (there's 3 parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvSNg0HZwk

• adamah
    adamah

Yup.

I wrote an article on my blog comparing the WT's 2011 article on the importance of shunning family members to findings from Milgram's study on obedience to authority figures:

http://awgue.weebly.com/countering-jw-shunning-how-the-implications-of-stanley-milgrams-work-may-suggest-using-a-different-approach.html

Whether that 'authority figure' is Jehovah or the GB, it's STILL an authority figure forcing someone to act against their sense of morality.

And the 'cake' is that WT has quoted psychologist Stanley Milgram on another topic previously, so apparently they respect his authority as a expert.

Adam

• KateWild
    KateWild

I thought that experiment was interesting. I like to think I would have stood up to the scientist. I suppose we all think we would have don't we. Kate xx

• adamah
    adamah

Kate Wild said-

I thought that experiment was interesting. I like to think I would have stood up to the scientist. I suppose we all think we would have don't we.

Of course, that's a protective defense that everyone tells themselves, or they try to deny that those people who complied weren't like them, by dehumanizing them and labelling them as "animals": the fact is, those people who complied were all-too-human, which is exactly what Milgram's study showed.

BTW, in the kitten-shocking experiment, Milgram found that females actually complied with authroties at a higher % than males: Milgram showed that females may be MORE susceptible to complying with authority figures.

Of course, the idea is to EDUCATE of the existence of the tendency to comply under authority, since people cannot anticipate a moral challenge if they're not even AWARE of the existence of the tendency.

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit