WT and the Wizard of Oz

by Junebuggie 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Junebuggie
    Junebuggie
    Off to see the Wizard

Many will easily recall the story of "The Wizard of Oz." Curiously, we can gain some insights about spiritual authority from this popular tale. Dorothy, The Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion go to the Wizard because they believe he has the power to give them what they need. Dorothy needs to go home, the Scarecrow needs a brain, the Tin Man needs a heart, and the Lion needs courage. The Wizard sends them out on a quest to get the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West. If they bring back the broomstick, he (the Wizard) will give them what they need. They accomplish their mission by melting the witch and getting the broomstick, then return to the wizard's place to ask him to deliver his promise.

Our heroes enter the huge chamber where the Wizard of Oz conducts his business. They are met face to face by the Wizard himself, a big scary head; not a real person, just a serious face surrounded by billowing smoke & fire, making a lot of noise. With a thunderous roar, the Wizard demands to know how those four dare to challenge him. Here is the point: It is at this moment that Dorothy's dog runs over to a small room & pulls back a curtain. What is revealed to us is a simple, flesh & blood man who has long been hiding behind a mask of power. He operates behind a curtain pulling levers, making smoke, fire and noise. The result looks impressive, but is only a facade. Even when exposed he roars, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

The Wizard is in fact a power abuser. He controls a whole city with a facade that postures power & punishes people for noticing. In the kingdom, the problem was that the Wizard couldn't deliver & Dorothy and her crew became the problem for noticing that there was a problem.
    It is sad to think how often religious power brokers control their spiritual kingdoms with power. They rain down Bible verses on people about authority, submission, judgement, prosperity or end times. They penalize people for noticing that the man behind the curtain is just a human with no authenticity or authority at all.
    As a maddening last lesson from this story, after all is said and done, the Wizard tells them , "You already have what you needed all along." They risked life and limb for what they already had.

In too many Christian families & churches, Christians are told to jump through spiritual-performance hoops to earn God's approval, something they already have because of Jesus death !
    Think about it-- The WTBTS ??

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

... quoted from The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse, p. 117.

Yes, this illustration hit me too when I read the book many years ago

• pronomono
    pronomono

GB, Pope, sounds like a lot of religious leaders, even the one's that aren't as cultish.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Junebuggie

I took my wife and son to the Wizard of Oz some time ago and then someone on this site, Blondie I think, talked about looking behind the curtain and the penny dropped so when we were talking about musicals recently and my son asked me what was my favourite musical and my favourite bit part I talked about that scene (and my son is going 'why is that your farvourite? I don't understand") and then I looked my wife straight in the eye and said - "It is time you looked behind the curtain." Initially she looked perplexed and then very uncomfortable so I think it had the desired effect.

Frazzled

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yes! "The Wizard of Oz" is a near perfect example of how the WTBTS has for years manipulated people and created false hopes. Like Dorthy, the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Lion, we have it within ourselves to make our lives better or to solve our own problems. I'm now 66 years old and was a dub for most of my life. What really hurts me, and I'm sure others also, is to see our dear lifelong friends sincerely counting the WTBTS promise that everything will be fine as long as you attend all meetings, go out in FS 10 hours a month and give your money to the 'world wide work'.

It truly saddens me when I talk to some of my dear, lifelong friends that are now in poor health and are doing virtually nothing to improve their health. They say that they are 'just waiting on Jehovah" to give them a 'new' body. Even my lovely wife of 47 years still clings to that hope. She has RA. What was once a very energetic, active and athletic woman is now just a pill taker 'waiting on Jehovah'. Her doctors have told her often the benefits of a regular exercise program, but she doesn't have time due to her busy 'theocratic schedule'. I've seen the same mind set with obese friends, "no need to diet and exercise cause Jehovah will give me a new trim body". Dangerous mindset IMHO.

eyeuse2badub

• Junebuggie
    Junebuggie

It took me 27 years before I looked behing the curtain. Wish it had been sooner, but better late than never. I never read the book

The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse, but a friend & her husband who had been pioneers sent me the Oz illustration. I will have to check out the book tho.

I read alot of Biblical based books and do alot of research. I want to start an x-jw support group in my town; and I had actually set up a meeting day and time, but the people I

contacted didn't show up. I think even when you are out of the org. some are still afraid that they will be spied on...mainly because they have relatives in the org. My relatives who are in live out of state and of course will not converse with me.

Just wish I could get them to see the analogy of the WT and the OZ.

• Cold Steel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit