Is anyone on the forum from Illinois?

by Leander 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

This site has been a source of tremendous encouragement for me. I've been able to truly learn quite a bit since I've started coming here. I've also found the courage that I need which will help me walk away from the JW organization in the very near future.

However I realize that its going to be very difficult adjusting to losing the majority (if not all) of my friends. So I'm hoping that I could possibly meet a few of the members here who've been through what I'll be facing. I've had a chance to speak with Reborn via this site, in fact I just learned last week he only lives a few miles from me. So if you're in Illinois or closeby feel free to drop in on this post or send an email.

Shawn
    [email protected]

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hi Leander-

Yes I live at most 10 miles from you.

You would be surprised, since my joining this site I have discovered there is a large Chicago contingent.

Making your exit from the "Organization" is probably the most difficult thing you will do in life. However I ask that you trust me from past experience, for you will feel freedom unparalleled and a large weight off your shoulders after you leave.

If you ever need someone to confide in, or just want to vent, you have my email, and Im going to shoot you my number and address too and we can go out for beers or something. We x-JW's have to support each other. We are a very unique breed and most people have little ability to truly understand our circumstance. Not to mention when you have immediate family members and your entire social circle still on the inside who will then shun you or treat you in a horrific manner, it is a very emotional road.

May your exit bring you Peace.

Your Friend

Jason

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

• Leander
    Leander

Thanks I appreciate the support. I attempted to break free back in October of last year but I gave into the pressure and stayed in the congregation. What I found to be truly incredible during that experience was the attitude of the elders. I spoke with the presiding overseer in my congregation, my father-in-law (who is also a presiding overseer) and 3 other elders about my doubts and my desire to step down. Despite the fact that these men knew I had grave concerns and serious doubts they all encouraged me to keep giving talks and preaching to others despite not believing whole heartedly in all of the society's doctrines. In my opinion if a member of an organization no longer believes in that org's ideals and teachings it would be foolish to encourage that person to teach others about something he does'nt beleive in.

I'm in the process right now of taking steps to be prepared for the worst. My in-laws all encouraged my wife not to talk to me about anything that goes in contrary with the WTS. In fact I learned that they even suggested to her that if I continue believing or talking about things not in line with the societys thinking that she should leave me. I'm not sure exactly how my mother will take it, but she's the type that follows the WTS guidelines down to the letter so I can imagine she'll be very disappointed. Out of all the people in my life who will be affected its my mother I'm most concerned about. We were very close when I was at home and I really hate doing anything to hurt her. Fortunately my younger brother might be a little more understanding but I can't say for sure at this point.

well enough of my rambling for now

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

Leander, if it's so difficult for you to break the ties with the Borg, then just take it easy and fade away gradually. That way the members of your congregation will not be forced to shun you and the relationship between you and your wife will not get unnecesarily more strained.

There's no such a thing as the right way to leave the Borg. The right way for you is the way that suits you best.

• Francois
    Francois

Um, if I AM from Illinois, what would I win?

ft

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

It would be cool if you were from Illinois Francois.

I have always enjoyed your posts.

I am from Illinois and in very close proximity to Leander.

Fess up Francois! Are you from Illinois?

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

• rebelledat12
    rebelledat12

Hi Leander,
    I'm not from Illinois, but I am from Iowa, almost right on the border. Chicago isn't too far away. I haven't found ANYONE on this board that is any closer to me. Perhaps sometime my husband and I could see you when we visit Chicago. Or, we could have an Apostafest. Tough luck about the wife and family. My family is divided over the religion as well.
    Take care,
    Jessi

• Alana
    Alana

I'm from IL.....central IL. I have family (non-JW) all over the Chicagoland area. Is that where you other IL folk are from? Any of you going to the BRCI conference in June? It's being held at the Wyndham in Itasca. I went to it there 2 years ago and it was really nice to meet other XJWs in person....it was worth the drive. Just curious if I might see any faces from this board there?

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

I live in DeKalb IL, and work in Lisle.. so definitely close to Chicagoland.

-Rick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit