preaching

by Realist 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Realist
    Realist

sorry guys i have more question to which i never could get a real answer.
    what is the true motivation for most witnesses to preach? is it to save others because they really feel bad for nonwitnesses or do they preach because it is required to get into paradise?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

You have to preach in order to keep the elders off your back . And to make it even worse you absolutly must have more than 10 hrs. Oh and you better have at least one bible study or there will be talks from the platform over and over and over again. I found that preaching also was a requirment to being an elders wife!!!! LOL I had to set an example, never mind the 3 screaming kids , running all over the territory. Preach the word, lalallalalll a forgot what the rest of the kingdom melody says but who cares hehhehhe. I just was too irritated to think about the reason I was out preaching, I do love people , but that is not why I did it. I did it because i had to.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

1) to get into paradise. If you're talking door to door. If it was really to help people, there are better ways.

2) It is part of their social system, especially after a few years 'in the truth'. There isn't much else they can do, ny Society standards.

3) it's a public display of their righteousness, like the Pharisees. "See how deserving I am" yaddayaddya...

4) And I think Witnesses realyy like having Bible studies, as long as they don't ask tough questions.

5) The number of hours, books placed, and so on gets you more attention, the higher numbers the more attention. Like the faces of the children of that infamous 'blood' Awake!. <gag> <choke>. If tehir numbers are high enough, thye might even get 'used' on assembly parts, or bumped up to elder/pioneer/Bethel..etc.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Preaching is required in order to belong to the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course, it is presented to you in a different vein. The spiel is that Jehovah's Witnesses are good hearted people who preach the good news of God's kingdom as a public service, because all those who hear and accept the word will live forever in a paradise earth.

In effect, we are on a hunting expedition, going from door to door in order to find those "sheep" who will listen to us, start a bible study and eventually join us in the preaching work.

It is a requirement. We are instructed to count the time that we do this volunteer work and to turn it in to the society each month. If we fail to go in the preaching work or if we do not spend the required amount of time in the preaching work, we will be marked as "spiritually weak" and we will not be given privileges in the congregation.

That's the short explanation. I am sure others will expand on it.

• tdogg
    tdogg

I felt obligated to do it. How many times were we beaten with "Go therefore and make disciples"? I think it was part of a large mural or picture in the KH. This was a direct command from JC, the only way to be a true Christian, blah, blah, blah. I mean, he died for you, the least you could do would be your 5+ hours a month right?

When the guilt waned the fear would take charge: you will DIE at ARMAGEDDON if you dont go out in service. Oh, and God loves you.

• Realist
    Realist

thank you all!

this really seems to be one hell of a depressing organization!

@ dutchie: what privileges?

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Realist. There are two answers. The company policy answer and the real answer. The company policy is God's people must preach about the new world that is coming and to warn about the end of the world that is also coming. SOON. Always soon!!

The real reasons for preaching are peer group pressure, status, habit, fear of not getting into paradise if not complying , being brainwashed - basically just keeping your feet on the treadmill and running fast to keep up while the WTS spins the wheel.

nice to have you here btw.

Marilyn

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Jehovah's Witnesses is a religion of quotas imposed on the
    "publishers" and "pioneers" by its governing body, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. To be in good standing, one is expected to devote so many hours trudging from door to door, to "place" so many magazines and other literature, to make so many "back calls" on interested persons, to conduct so many Bible studies. Numbers and figures, expansion and growth, are of paramount importance. Was quantity important to Jesus? Did he keep a count? Where does it say he went from door to door?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Door to door was pure hell! I hated it even more than attending the booring meetings. Worse that either was standing on the street corner down town handing out tracts...jesus that was torture!

carmel

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i preached cuz i was forced to by mom and dad. as i got older i was mysteriously "sick" on most saturday mornings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit