The Assembly Seating Status Shuffle

by joelbear 5 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

This phenomenon occurred mostly when I was a teenager and young adult.

Typically it centered around one popular group of kids and their parents, kids were never allowed to sit in groups by themselves, at least, not for long.

So, everybody tries to get seated next to the people they want to sit near, usually an amalgamation of trying to get next to girls or guys you are interested in, mixed with some JW social climbing etc. etc. Having a seat saved for you with a popular family was a big coup.

Did this go on with your social groups and the assemblies you attended?

hugs

Joel

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

We were popular (as a family) at the district convention (at the Vet). We always had one of those large blue tarps to sit under (got there before they even opened so we could set it up)

Everyone wanted to sit with us under it to make the assembly a little bearable in the 90+ degree heat.

closer

Solid stone is just sand and water, baby
    Sand and water, and a million years gone by - beth nielsen chapman

• spender
    spender

i think an even better topic is how people act right after the doors open to conventions. People will lie to you, push you...anything to get some seats close to the front! It's nuts!

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

So true. I always love how the elders/ministerial servants give the talks on not saving seats and they are the first ones to do so. My dad who is a MS said he watched several rush in at the doors-opening and have a stack of mags and just lay them across rows of seats. That is really being theocratic!!

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."

Rita Mae Brown

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Ahhh seat-saving. Vehemently demonized in the pre-assembly service meeting talks as I remember.
    Proud to say that I NEVER did it.
    I really could have cared less who sat beside me, though secretly I always hoped for some family with a hot chick would sit in our row therefore I ALWAYS sat on the inside, never an aisle seat if I could help it.
    One thing I did hate was when my folks set up camp on the ground floor. I hated that. I had people 360 degrees around me plus all the bleacher seats. Felt like I had 5000 pairs of eyes on me at all times.
    And after 10 years I still hate crowds.

Mike.

whatever...

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

closer....who are you? I'm from Jersey. Went to the Vet a whole bunch. Do I remember this blue tarp? Did you know, say, the Trenton/Hamilton area congs?

ashi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit