Gaslighting Your Brain, Watchtower Style.

by Narcissistic Supply 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Gaslighting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gaslighting is a form of mental abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her own memory, perception andsanity. [1] Instances may range simply from the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, up to the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.

The term "gaslighting" comes from the play Gas Light and its film adaptations. The term is now also used in clinical and research literature. [2] [3]

Clinical examples

Psychologist Martha Stout states that sociopaths frequently use gaslighting tactics. Sociopaths consistently transgress social mores, break laws, and exploit others, but are also typically charming and convincing liars who consistently deny wrongdoing. Thus, some who have been victimized by sociopaths may doubt their perceptions. [6] Jacobson and Gottman report that some physically abusivespouses may gaslight their partners, even flatly denying that they have been violent. [3]

Gaslighting can also occur in parent-child relationships, with either parent or child (or both) lying to each other and attempting to undermine perceptions. [8] Furthermore, gaslighting has been observed between patients and staff in inpatient psychiatric facilities. [9]

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

So in your analogy, JW.net has been our Joseph Cotten as it has opened our eyes to TTATT.

• blondie
    blondie

Wasn't Charles Boyer the husband and the aunt's killer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_(1944_film)

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Blondie, yes, I love that movie. Joseph Cotten was the one who rescued her. I didnt know Gaslighting had become an accepted term, but it really makes sense doesn't it and fits so well with JWs. They are taught things that dont make sense but believe it anyway.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Thank you for this post. This definition/explanation totally clicks with my experiences, both with the jw's and my father.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

A perfect example is when they received noo-lite on alternative service in 1996.

The previous teaching, which was in place for 60 years, resulted in many JWs going to prison or even dying. In the noo-lite article, none of this was acknowledged. In fact, the previous teaching was not even acknowledged. It was just put in terms like 'some christians in times past have felt that it would be objectionable to accept alternative service in lieu of military service'.

The noo-lite article, and an article from 1998 on the same subject, were both such a surreal mind-f*ck to the JWs who had followed the dictates of the society. The 1998 article was especially sickening.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Steely Dan wrote the song 'Gaslighting Abbey' that was supposedly based on the movie mentioned.

• Narcissistic Supply

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit