FREEDOM from human rules ? So how do jw's fit in with Colossians 2:13-23 then.

by *lost* 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

16 therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat and drink or with regard to a religious festival, a New moon celebration or a Sabbath day

17 these are a shadow of the things that were yet to come: the reality however is found in Christ

18 do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen: they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.

19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by it's ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20. since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to this world, do you submit to it's rules

21. ''Do not handle! Do not taste ! Do not touch!''

22. These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human, commands and teachings.

23. Such regulations indeed have an appearence of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship,their false humility, and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

3 In reply he said to them: “Why is it YOU also overstep the commandment of God because of YOUR tradition? 4 For example, God said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Let him that reviles father or mother end up in death.’ 5 But YOU say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have by which you might get benefit from me is a gift dedicated to God,” 6 he must not honor his father at all.’ And so YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition. 7 YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, 8 ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.’” 10 With that he called the crowd near and said to them: “Listen and get the sense of it: 11 Not what enters into [his] mouth defiles a man; but it is what proceeds out of [his] mouth that defiles a man.” - Matt 15:3-11

Commands of men... like what?

Thou shalt not . . . celebrate birthdays

Thou shalt not . . . smoke

Thou shalt not . . . partake of the Lord's evening meal

Thou shalt . . . shun anyone who once was a JW but simply no longer wants to be one

And so on.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Great points guys! When is the last time these were cited in a WT or public talk? Hardly ever or never. If they do the average dub still wont see the hypocrisy, they will just apply it to "Babylon the Great" and all their manmade rules and traditions. All while not looking in the mirror.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Who do the GB become accrding to JW doctrine? Heavenly creatures!! Who do the JW's obey? The GB!! Who do Jw's worship? Angels!!!!!!!

• *lost*
    *lost*

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

I think it wouls be a good help for 'lurkers' guys if we could all keep adding a list of scripture, like these ones,

(or anyone else that needs reminding of the 'scriptures')

Use the scriptures to show, prove, WT and jw's are not doing what they should be doing, that it is wrong what they are being told to do.

Remeber the white washed graves ?

Put on the full suit of armour etc.

• *lost*
    *lost*

I just found an interesting commentary on this. www.christnotes.org

Chapter contents.

1-7 the apostle expresses his love to, and joy in believers.

8-17 he caustions against the errors of heathen philosophy; also against jewish traditions, and rights which had been fullfilled in Christ.

18-23 agaisnt worshipping angels; and against legal ordinances.

See the danger of enticing words,; how many are ruined by the false disguises and fair appearences of evil principle and wicked practices.

It is an insult to Christ, to use any intercessors but him.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I used these scriptures to show my oldest son that not celebrating birthdays was crap.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Matthew 15:14

'' Let them alone. they are blind leaders of the blind.

And if the blind leads the blind,both will fall into a ditch.''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit