Question re tower logo at Bethel (NYers??)

by comment 9 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

A friend of mine in New York just told me that the big tower logo on the side of Bethel is no longer there. Instead, there's a giant neon sign saying "WATCHTOWER" and a digital clock.

How long has this been the case? Does anybody know why they got rid of the tower logo?

comment

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Do you mean, "Read the Bible Daily" logo???

• comment
    comment

I'm not totally sure from the description I was given. Maybe if someone could just give a "Before" and "After," that would clarify things.

comment

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The last time I was there in the mid 90's they had a big red glowing neon sign on the 25 building that said "WATCHTOWER". It could be seen from across the bay.

The "Read God's word the bible daily" sign is up the road a little painted on the side of the factory.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    The last time I was there in the mid 90's they had a big red glowing neon sign on the 25 building that said "WATCHTOWER". It could be seen from across the bay.
    The "Read God's word the bible daily" sign is up the road a little painted on the side of the factory.

I go into New York at least weekly on business (though less often to Brooklyn), and, last time I was down that way (which was not more than a month ago), things were still as you describe.

The red glowing "Watchtower" sign along with the time sign, is also highly visible as you drive across the Brooklyn bridge into Brooklyn, but it can be seen clearly from the Manhattan side. I've even spotted it from Jersey a few times.

Tom

"At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do"
    --Bob Dylan
  • Farkel
    Farkel

I've always found it interesting that the society claims to exist soley to promote/vindicate/sanctify (depending upon the "light" at the time) Jehovah's holy name, yet even at Jehovah's world-wide headquarters in Brooklyn, they promote "Watchtower" instead. They also promote the Bible, and "Jehovah's Witnesses" (mere men), but none of their buildings to my knowledge promote, vindicate or "sanctify" the name "Jehovah" itself.

As I've often stated, "Jehovah" is just another Watchtower prop used to promote themselves and their printing corporation.

Nowhere on ANY Watchtower building does "Jesus" get one ounce of promotion, either. And yet, this "Bible-based" religion claims to believe that verse that said Jesus' name would be above all others.

"Jehovah's Christian Witnesses," my ass.

Farkel

• one
    one

They should just become a nonprofit secular org.
    to help... whatever

Their main function is not to help people spiritually, but a social club with a whole bunch of rules.

You dont have to care about people to go the ladder in the WT.

Just give the IMPRESSION that you follow their rules, period.

Really you dont have to actually comply.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

one,

they won't do that... they rely too much on the constitutional protections granted to "religious" organizations.

As an example... one cannot sue them for violating their own internal rules or laws for ecclesiastical courts (Judicial Committee). The courts will not touch the internal theological rules and laws of a religious organization.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• TexSham
    TexSham

Hey, Tally, can you take a new picture?

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

I don't think it's changed. I work in Battery Park in lower Manhattan & it still looks the same as when I was a Bethelite in the mid-80's: the red "Watchtower" sign with the time & temperature is on top of their office complex at 25 Columbia Heights, about 6 blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge. The "Read God's Word the Bible Daily" sign is painted along the side of Factory Building #4(I think it's #4?).

"Any day spent NOT knocking on doors is a good day!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit