Calgary girl - update

by concerned mama 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id={FF2EB8FB-968C-429E-8DA5-B6B977B9FFCF}

Girl says she wants to live
    Father insists church elders playing games

Daryl Slade
    Calgary Herald

Wednesday, April 10, 2002
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Calgary girl at the centre of a court battle over enforced blood transfusions for her leukemia has spoken out, one day before a judge rules on her appeal.

"I do not want to die, in spite of everything you might have heard before," the girl, identified under the pseudonym "Mia," said in a one-page statement issued through spokesman Thomm Bokor.

"I want medical treatment that will respect my dignity and my choice, but not what is being forced on me in Alberta."

A Court of Queen's Bench judge is scheduled to rule today on the 16-year-old girl's appeal of a lower court decision forcing her to undergo chemotherapy treatments, particularly blood transfusions. Her name cannot be released under the Child Welfare Act.

The girl's father, who went against his family and the church's strict teachings by agreeing to the treatments at Alberta Children's Hospital, rebuked his daughter's statement as being "choreographed" by church elders.

"It really upsets me they're using her so they can win this case," said the father. "It's a low blow."

The tug of war is essentially between the medical community, which insists the protocol is the only one to fight the girl's life-threatening acute myeloid leukemia, and the Jehovah's Witness faith that strictly prohibits the use of blood products.

Court heard that doctors working with Mia canvassed experts across North America. They unanimously agreed she could die within days without treatment.

But Bokor, of the Hospital Liaison Committee for Jehovah's Witnesses, said the girl "wants to live and has no desire whatsoever to die."

She is a temporary ward of the province under the child welfare director.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Adele Kent will read her decision today on whether to uphold or overturn the Feb. 18 ruling by family court Judge Karen Jordan.

The girl's lawyer, David Gnam, has argued as a mature minor she should be able to choose alternative treatment.

In particular, he said, she wants to go to Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles under Dr. Michael Lill, director of the bone-marrow and stem-cell transplant program.

"He (Lill) offers me a fighting chance of battling this disease. He and his team will respect my body, my choice and my conscience," said Mia. "I am now being tied and held down to my bed at the Alberta Children's Hospital. I have been sedated. I have been given drugs that interfere with my memory. I am a prisoner. Child Welfare has posted supervisors in my hospital room 24 hours a day."

The father said Mia is not being given the proper facts and his wife has not read anything except for material supplied by the church.

He cited a court-filed affidavit by Laura Scott-Lane, a social worker at Alberta Children's Hospital, who declared the girl told her she was being pressured into refusing blood transfusions.

"Initially, the child co-operated with medical staff but voiced her objections to the transfusions in a way that did not place herself or others at harm," Scott-Lane wrote.

"She has informed me that she has been instructed to 'fight' by both the mother and Mr. Gnam, counsel for the child, and she was confused how passive resistance would not be accepted as 'fighting.' Once the mother began to attend during the blood transfusions, there was an immediate and noticeable deterioration of the child's behaviour."

The girl has undergone two sets of chemotherapy with 14 blood transfusions over the past six weeks and is scheduled, in the next two to four weeks, for another bout of chemo that includes 18 transfusions.

Her father said it was when the hospital placed a chaperon at his daughter's room, 24 hours a day, that she had stopped fighting and was relaxed, calm and pleasant.

"Yesterday (Monday), my wife and daughter refused chemo," said the father.

"The hospital decided they had to continue with chemo, because it had a tight schedule. If they stopped, they run a risk of losing everything they gained so far."

© Copyright 2002 Calgary Herald

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This case continues to sicken me with every development.

The only positive side to this, is that the world is getting a crystal clear view of the true nature of the blood policy. It is not a personal decision, as they claim. It is enforced by pressure from the head office.

I should also mention that JW's in the next province know absolutely nothing about this case. Everyone I have asked about it was completely, totally ignorant of the case's existance.

Thanks for the update, CM

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The only positive side to this, is that the world is getting a crystal clear view of the true nature of the blood policy. It is not a personal decision, as they claim. It is enforced by pressure from the head office.

Very true.

And how many Witnesses are really aware that while they say they "strictly prohibit all blood products" , they don't prohibit all products derived from blood?

Path

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Running Man,
    That is very interesting that no one know anything about it, even a few hundred miles away. Is your local paper covering it at all, or is it affiliated with the Southam chain of newspapers? The article today was on the top of the back page of the city section of the Edmonton Journal, so still fairly prominent and noticable.

It is very clear, isn't it, that the girl is being pressured by the head office of the organization, to accept the blood. I don't think that the judge will like that.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Our local paper is part of the Southam Chain, and uses the same website as the Herald and Journal. I have not seen any local coverage at all.

I notice from one of the other threads that the JW's have threatened to sue newspapers if they publicize his trust fund. I certainly hope that this information finds its way to the Judge's attention.

• Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

There was an article in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix when this first came out. Non-Jws who mentioned this article to me could not believe what was happening. Everybody feels sorry for the girl because of her illness, but people could not believe the treatment of the father by the witnesses and the family. He wants to see his daughter live and with the choice that was made there is a chance she might just do so. For this he is shunned by everybody including the ill girl. I told these non-jws what it is like to be shunned and they were horrified. One lady asked "what then, is love towards one another based on your faith to the organization"? I said "pretty much" She said she will look at witnesses different from now on when they come to her door becasue of this situtation. From what I can gather, this whole situation has put the witnesses in a bad light from a non-jw view. On the other hand, it will probably make the average jw stronger in that they will not disobey the organization in fear of being shunned like this man.

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Hi Disposable:

I notice you are from Saskatchewan. I live in Regina. I tried sending you an e-mail, but am experiencing some problems. Do we know each other by any chance?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit