Book study 2013-2014

by pixel 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Someone told me once they used to have a "smoking break"! Can anyone cofirm that one?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

therevealer -

what about way back when - when they had a 10 -15 minute intermission.

I remember this just after a public talk and before the watchtower(R) study(TM).

My dad would use this as an excuse to go for a walk and come back late during the watchtower(R) study(TM)

• therevealer
    therevealer

punkofnice - it is a long time ago, but my memory is of a short break between the ministry school and service meeting as well. Was always a push to get everyone back to their seats to continue. Don't know why that might of been. LOL

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Someone told me once they used to have a "smoking break"! Can anyone cofirm that one?

In the 1950's we had a short break between the Public Talk and the WT. A sister used to go out before the talk was finished, and put the kettles on. We had a cup of tea and homemade cakes then back in for the WT study.

The talk was a 1 hr talk, (the speaker also counted this on his FS report), and the WT often ran to 28 paragraphs so it was a long old meeting in those days. We also had just plain wooden seats like church pews to sit on; you couldn't sleep on those!

George

• blondie
    blondie

George, I can remember when articles ran into 42 paragraphs (Fred Franz product) and the congregation had to stop on paragraph on paragraph 28 and have to wait until the next week for the exciting end...and then move onto the next article. I was glad when someone starting keep the articles shorter, 19 to 20 paragraphs. Blondie likes that too.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Both of those publications are old light, right? Why study old light?

• Shador
    Shador
    Both of those publications are old light, right? Why study old light?

Oooh, maybe we'll get little stickers to put in our books again? That was fun.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Off topic a bit, but remember when they had no prayers in Mexico until they could buy some land? Jesus loved the way they stood up for the truth despite persecution. Oh, wait. The locals had to be persecuted. There is no persecution in the GB ivory tower.

• caliber
    caliber

Someone told me once they used to have a "smoking break"! Can anyone confirm that one?

absolutely there was some who smoked during "the break" in the 50's & 60's

....not there myself but have heard this a few times over the years from Elders who were there

One elder once even mentioned as we were driving by a building (that Jw's rented in the late fifties)(very few actual KH's around then ), that he could

remember some of the brothers out there smoking.... this was right on Main Street for goodness sakes!!

• clarity
    clarity

Hey ...I was there, I can confirm that it was a smoking break for those

who had em! Then came the 70's .......you had 6 months to quit

or else Df!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit