Why WT translates Parousia as "Presence" and not "Coming" (Matt. 24:3)?

by ProfCNJ 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

WT had translated "parousia" as presence instead of "coming". It has explained time and again that in 1914, Jesus came invisibly and since then, we are living in the last days under his invisible presence.

Now I was a bit puzzled if that would really be the appropriate translation after reading Matthew 28:19, 20.

19 " Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. "

I pondered repeatedly and asked myself: Why should Christ "come invisibly in 1914", when he committed/promised he would be with his peopole/disciples until the end of the age?" If he has stayed with his followers since uttering that important commission up until today - and until the end of the world or system of things as they say, then he is guiding them invisibly for hundreds of years. And if that is the case, there was no need to come invisibly in 1914. It does not really make sense.

Hence, the WT could have mistranslated the word to support its 1914 doctrine.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The whole 'parousia' = 'presence' thing is irrelevant misdirection.

Parousia does mean 'presence', at least in modern Greek. (See for yourself.)

But that's not the point. Jesus didn't come or arrive or become present or do any other thing in 1914. Nothing significant happened in October 1914, and especially not anything remotely resembling what the Bible Students had 'expected'.

Jesus, if he ever actually existed at all, died a long time ago, and he ain't coming back.

• cofty
    cofty

This was my question that led to my exit. I wrote to London Bethel about it and was told to mind my own business. That led me to investigate other doubts that I had.

• cofty
    cofty

double post

• besty
    besty
    I wrote to London Bethel about it

cofty - can you post the letter if you have a copy?

• Terry
    Terry

Having identified (an interestingly erroneous word in itself) the date (by Pyramidology and cherry-picking scriptures) of THE END, C.T.Russell

either had to allow the evidence to refute him (intellectual honesty) or he had to resort to reframing and recontextualizing.

What must THAT have been like?

Sort of like misplacing your car keys and saying to yourself: "I know they're right here in this room but I just can't see them."

A reader of Second Adventist writings named B.W. Keith wrote a letter which proved useful. This man "noticed" when reading the Emphatic Diaglott that the word coming could also be translated as presence.

Russell seized upon this and decided the car keys really were in the room but were actually invisible.

Next year the Watchtower Society will be forced by world events (i.e. NO Armageddon yet) to confront a FULL CENTURY of Christ's presence

with NOTHING to show for it!

The "splainin'" that Lucy will have to do should prove to be entertaining, to say the least.

William Miller (1782-1849), preached that the Second Coming of Jesus Christ would occur some time between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844.

Miller was invited to preach his "proofs" to churches in many locations. Many heard and became convinced.

Miller’s followers may have numbered as many as 100,000.

Churches split everywhere over who believed and who refused to be taken in.

Those who pinned their hopes on Miller's arguments did whatever necessary to prepare for the event--an event which never took place. What followed has been termed THE GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT.

When Christ failed to materialize within the appointed time, Miller set a new date, October 22, 1844. When this new date failed he apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Many honest and disappointed souls hung their heads in shame and returned to their old churches. But, about a third did not. They dug in. They tried to "fix" the problem.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Joseph Bates, James White and in particular Ellen Harmon White, chose to believe there was nothing wrong with Miller’s date calculations and started to teach that Christ had indeed returned in 1844

This return was not to Earth but to His heavenly Sanctuary. (fulfilling Daniel chapter 8 verse 14), and thus started a day of preparation. The actual Second Coming, the Parousia, was imminent. (Smylie 1988)

The merit of such an argument was that it provided a flimsy scriptural dodge, an excuse, which gave them temporary plausible deniability until they could repair the damage to their chronology.

Another Millerite, Nelson H. Barbour, came to believe that the correct date for Christ’s Second Coming was 1873, not 1844.

He started to spread this message, in particular through his 1870 pamphlet called Evidences for the Coming of the Lord in 1873: or the Midnight Cry, and his monthly The Midnight Cry from 1873. In the meantime, 1873 had become 1874, but that did not prevent another disappointment.

The loosey-goosey nature of these dates should have embarrassed further speculation. It didn't.

One of Barbour’s readers, B. W. Keith, came up with a solution.

Having obtained a new translation of the New Testament, Benjamin Wilson’s The Emphatic Diaglott, Keith noticed a marginal alternative translation of Parousia, the Greek word normally translated ‘coming,’ namely ‘presence.’

None of these men were skilled in Biblical Greek, but the idea took hold that what had started in 1874 was indeed Christ’s invisible presence. (Jonsson 1983)

This year, Barbour said, started a millennial morning, and the periodical The Midnight Cry became The Herald of the Morning.

Barbour failed to convince many of his original readers, but he did manage to convert one young man. This man was Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916).

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The WT's original doctrine was the the 'last days' began in 1799 and that Jesus' return occurred in 1874.

When that failed, suddenly the last days began in 1914 and Jesus' return became "presence".

Invisibly, of course.

Invisible 'evidence' is so much easier to defend (and change).

• TD
    TD

Russell Barbour seized upon this and decided the car keys really were in the room but were actually invisible.

Barbour convinced Russell about a year and a half later and Russell ran with it.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

bttt

• cofty
    cofty

Besty - I will see if I have a copy. I think I posted it here a while ago in a discussion with Alan F who had written something similar.

I was still an elder at the time and the rest of the BOE agreed to add a favourable cover letter.

I later sent it to Brookyln but heard nothing. There was a comment in a WT study article many months later that sounded like a specific reference to a point in my letter but I will never know for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit