Birthdays and hunting

by exwhyzee 7 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Supposedly the reason JW's claim that celebrating birthdays is displeasing to God is because the Bible mentions a pagan birthday celebation where John the Baptist was beheaded. If that's reason enough to ban birthday celebrations forever, then I'm suprised they didn't ban hunting since Pagan Nimrod was named in the Bible as a hunter in opposition to Jehovah who hunted for sport. Most hunters I know enjoy the meat they bring home of course, but mostly they hunt because they simply love to do it. It would be less time consuming and expensive (equipment, guns, hunting license etc,) for them in most cases to simply buy the meat they need or raise a few chickens etc. But hunting is a tradition and a way of life for some. Can you imagine what would have happened if the society,based on the same biblical logic as banning Birthdays, way back in the day, would have banned hunting and told JW's they could only eat meat they had purchased or had been raised for consumption? Even though it's the same skewed logic, they'd never have dared to mess with hunters. Likely many of the early fouders of the religion were hunters themselves. This is not an argument for or against hunting rather another way to show why some of the beliefs that JW's are proud to say sets them apart from mainstream Christianity, are illogcical.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Actually, I knew a lot of JWs who thought it was wrong to hunt. But we are talking about city people.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My first congregation was in Pullman, Washington; a small college town in Eastern Washington. A few of us hunted, and were whispered about by the rest of the congregation for doing so. One of the guys I hunted with was an elder, I think the rest of the BOE wanted to go after us, but couldn't find anything to support their position.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Actually, I knew a lot of JWs who thought it was wrong to hunt. But we are talking about city people.

Thankfully the were able to decide this for themselves rather than have a direct ban on hunting, from the society like they did with birthdays.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Growing up, I was taught that Nimrod's hunting "in opposition to Jehovah" meant that he hunted other men.

• cantleave
    cantleave

In the UK hunting for sport is not considered Christian by JW's. I was counselled by a CO because I used to go fishing and Nimrod was used as the bible example of why I shouldn't fish.

• wasblind
    wasblind

If I'm not mistaken. Deer season was extended in my state one time

to help cut the deer population

In most countries today, to hunt is only a sport, for the simple fact most people

have stores in which they can purchase the food they need

But there are still places on earth where folks hunt as a necessity.

Maybe that's the reason they may not kick up about it so much

• wasblind
    wasblind

Jehovah's witnesses are liars who " claim " to stay away from anything associated to a pagan belief or practice

On page 69 in the Reasoning book they state the Greeks and the Romans had a pagan belief

that everyone had a protective spirit or gaurdian angel present on the day of thier birth

that would protect them through life. found in the Birthday section of the Reasoning book

As you can see in the WT pic above Witnesses get to keep their pagan birthday angels

as long as they don't eat any cake . LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit