Great way to get rid of salesman

by moman 1 Replies latest jw friends

• moman
    moman

IF one of those magazine-salespeople etc. come to your door try this:

Open the door quickly & say (in a loud & stern voice), "Are you one of Jehovah's witnesses?"

The salesperson (after the inital shock)will gladly say, "Oh, no, I'm not a Jehovaha's witnesses!" (thinking that you now will be releaved & listen to their sales-pitch), but at that instant you say,"Well then I'm not interested!" & slam the door on them.....funny as hell!

ANY OTHERS?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Moman: Having worked in sales, marketing, and advertizing as it relates to my career, I can honestly say that the frustrated public often does not understand how to be short and polite, always looking for ways to be sarcastic-humorous-rude. Here is what I do:

Telemarketers: I politely interrupt them, and state that it is my policy never to give out information or transact business over the phone. If I am not interested in their product or service, I simply say that I am not interested in their offer at this time, and then nicely say good bye. Takes less than 10 seconds to be nice, honest, and short. Telemarketers, like any other marketing-sales people simply move on to the next call. It is a large numbers business, and the more calls, the better.

If I am somewhat or very interested in their offer, I insists on having them mail something to me. If they refuse, I politely end the call, and tell them that this is how I weed out scams. If they accept, I give my name and work address.

Door to door sales: I have rarely encoutered such except for JWs. With JWs, since they do not know me in this area, I will have as much discussion as they want. But that it my thing.

If it is a politician, I find that they do not like to spend time talking much, because they are out to press the flesh in trying to have handshakes with everyone in the area.

If it is someone selling any other product or service, I thank them and ask for printed material so that I can follow-up later. I tell them the same line, that I need to check to make sure this is not a scam. If they are a scam they leave. If not, they usually will have something to leave with me, or mail something.

Junk mail: I send out junk mail, but it is sweet and short, professional letters inviting my target market to see me if they are looking to buy or sell investment-income commercial property. Again, for me it is a numbers game, so out of 1,000 mailings, I only expect about 4% respone rate, and fully understand if my junk mail is tossed out. However, in my target field, I mail out less, and get a higher response rate because I only mail to a certain market.

I recommend politeness: Some sales people are pushy jerks, but most are not. It is a job, and the only way that they have of marketing their services so that you will do business with them. General brand ads do not bring business to specific salespersons, but only personal contact works.

Why be jerky with people who are simply trying to make a living? Why not spare all that negative energy and be short, polite, and end the call, or visit if you are not interested?

Funny Story: I sent out "Listing Announcements" to my target neighborhood back when I was working in residential real estate. I send simple postcards that cost 20 cents each at the time ... 200 mailings in the area cost me $40. But neighbors like to know whose house is for sale, how much, the features, and if sold, how much did they get. It is public record anyway. So this may motivate some who have been wondering if it is worth it to sell, to do so, because the market is commanding what they want.

One man called me, after getting my post card, and screamed at me, and demanded to know how I got his address. I said that I got it off of his mail box. He wanted to know how I got his name, and I stated from public records. He then proceeded to spew out mean nasty words about how he hates junk mail and does not like poeople to know where he lives. He then told me about how he is hiding from the IRS because he stashed money without paying taxes.

I then stated, "Firts, sir. All this energy over a 20 cent postcard seems like a waste. Why not just toss it out, and save your emotions? It sounds like you have to much time on your hands to worry about this kind of thing in life. Second, as a licensee in this State, I am regulated by the banking authorities. When I learn of someone who is committing financial fraud, such as cheating on their taxes, I am obligated by law to report them, and that means I report you. [dead silence, phone goes dead.]

He never called or complained again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit