Give a Man a Fish...

by truth_b_known 3 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a Watchtower that explains to him he will starve until Jehovah's new world comes and you are faithful in the eyes of the Watch Tower Society. To help that starving man by being charitable and feeding him you show a lack of faith in God's kingom.

How I stayed in for as long as I did I will never know why and will always regret.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and his wife will never see him on weekends !

I feel the same as you, I was born in, so some excuse I suppose, but what a Numb-nuts I was not to get out when I was much younger, a wasted life for me I'm afraid, all I can do is live each day now to the full, revelling in my freedom !

• Scott77
    Scott77

"How I stayed in for as long as I did I will never know why and will always regret".
    truth_b_known

This is one of the soul-searching question that Iam still dealing with. I wish knew ealier and the leave as soon as possible.

Scott77

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The expression actually originated in Britain in the mid 19th century.

Give a man a fishAnne Isabella Ritchie, the daughter of William Makepeace Thackeray, (who, if her photograph is any guide, was a studious young woman) wrote a story titled Mrs. Dymond, sometime in the 1880s and it includes this line.

"He certainly doesn't practise his precepts, but I suppose the patron meant that if you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour; if you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn."

This was used by Oxfam for a TV advert for their charity for a long time in the UK. Truth_b_known I know what you mean, how could we fall for that nonsense about not giving to charity but waiting for Jehovah to feed the hungry in the New System. What the WTS really meant was give the money to them! I can't believe I fell for it either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit