Mount Everest Punch Up

by *lost* 9 Replies latest social current

• *lost*
    *lost*

3 European Climbers and sherpa's have fist-i-cuffs high up on the mountain at Camp 3.

lol norty boys.

Anyone read the book

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

A great book.

edited to add; the rowdy europeans were sent home in disgrace.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Well who is the new king of the mountain?

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://www.gadling.com/2013/04/30/three-mountaineers-assaulted-on-mt-everest-by-sherpas/

I suspect the article is slanted in favor of the Westerners.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I heard about ths on the news a couple of days ago. Interesting that the story was one sided in favor of the Europeans. I would really like to hear the Sherpas' side of the story. I've watched documentaries of Everest climbs and from what I've seen it's not one big picnic. The closer one gets to the summit the more dangerous the climb becomes. Hell I think it's a dangerous trek all the way up and down the mountain.. No time for being stupid and not listening to the folks who know best how to get you up and down alive.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If they were crossing the lines they were putting the workers below at risk.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

3 European Climbers and sherpa's have fist-i-cuffs high up on the mountain at Camp 3.

lol norty boys.

Camp 3 is way above 25,000 feet, well into the "Death Zone" where the body begins to die from oxygen shortage, which happens even when one uses bottled oxygen. Chances are the climbers became hypoxic, which causes personality change, poor judgment, and high-altitude sickness. If the climbers were sent back down, it was to save their lives.

Everest is not a walk in the park, even though it's not a "technically" difficult mountain to climb (you don't need a lot of rock-climbing experience). But the high altitude can be, and often is, deadly.

Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" relates just how wrong things can go high up on Everest, where even experienced mountaineers can and do die very easily.

Anyone read the book

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

A great book.

Coincidentally, Jon Krakauer also wrote a book about Greg Mortenson, called "Three Cups of Deceit." Good read.

• soontobe
    soontobe

Three Cups of Tea is a fiction that was passed off as a true account.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Don't know what news channels you watch ... I didn't see that it was heavily one-sided in favour of the ' westerners' . The spokesperson we had on was very much appalled at the conduct of the 'westerners' and they were sent home in disgrace... think I actualloy mentioned that bit.

Three cups of tea. have you read the book then ?

So did he not go to those villages.

did he not build a bridge.

did he not build a school.

So none of those things happened at all ? even the pictures in the book were forged ?

I know there is some controversy regarding some actual facts .... as far as I am aware they are minor details in the telling of the story. Haven't read 3 cups of deceit, so i can't comment on it.

I have read 3 cups of tea, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The news report I saw gave little information about the fight other than reporting that it happened. I saw one short interview of one of the westerns involved. He didnt seem to be that upset about it and kinda brushed off what happened and said his party was going to continue the climb. None of the Sherpas were interviewed. I had to go online to read more information about what started the fight.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I referenced the article I linked to, which I thought was biased. If you have a better one, I'll look at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit