Literature of false teachers

by goddidit 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• goddidit
    goddidit

I'm going to ask a JW if they are discouraged from reading books outside of their watchtower publications. When he says "no" I want to counter the claim by showing the numerous examples I've seen in their literature of exactly that. Trouble is I don't know where they are. Could someone point me to them please? Here's the only one I have. In the interest of acedemic honesty (unlike JWs) I have to point out that I haven't *yet* checked the source.

Watchtower July 2011

“We must refuse to read the literature of false teachers, watch TV programs that feature them, examine their Web sites, or add our comments to their blogs. Why do we take such a firm stand? Because of love. We love “the God of truth,” so we are not interested in twisted teachings that contradict his Word of truth."

Need more. Many thanks.

• goddidit
    goddidit

Oh, and also some about how they have to be prepared to defend their faith against challengers (as opposed to walking away, which is what I mostly see).

• irondork
    irondork

1 Peter 3:15: - But sanctify the Christ as Lord in YOUR hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of YOU a reason for the hope in YOU, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect.

People use this scripture with the idea that they can scripturally mandate a Christian into standing there and arguing with them. That is NOT what the scripture implies. The scripture says that I should be prepared to make a defense before everyone that demands a reason for my hope. I am prepared to do that. If follow-up clarification is needed, I am prepared to do that also. I am not prepared, nor willing to argue back and forth over ANY topic regarding my faith.

Usually people who come at Christians with the intent of bashing his or her beliefs are unable to fit the criteria mentioned in the last part of the scripture: "...doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect."

That right there lets the Christian off the hook for having to sit there and answer one stupid, baseless accusation after another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit