Seventh Gay Adventists, a movie you should see

by barry 7 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

A film about faith on the margins. Directors Daneen Akers and Stephen Eyer and screenings listed at www.sgamovie.com

'WOW. What a beautiful film! Thanks to those featured in the film for being so vulnerable and real -it took great courage to tell your stories the way you did, and we were humbled and deeply toughed by your witness. I can,t imagine anyone seeing this and not being profoundly moved by it. and thanks to La Sierra university church for being brave enough to host this event. It was as awsome spirit filled experience. Lorelei Cress.

Of course this film is being shown not only in churches but at Melbourne Queer Film Festival , Seattle lesbian and Gay film festival.

For such a film as this to be accepted by many SDA is something of a miracle and is about two gay couples and one lesbian couple and their relationship with the church. The SDA church is allmost as conservative as the witnesses.

This from Roy Gane professor SDA theological seminary Andrews university, 'Whatever ones position regarding homosexuals and the church may be this film is worth seeing because it candidly probes issues with real human faces and stories'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hVnSH65v4

• barry
  • barry
  • Wilfried
    Wilfried

How I would like to watch it in french

• barry
    barry

Gday wilfried , I looked if that movie is in another lingo but to no avail.

The guy who first talks on both videos had been in therapy for 5 years trying to change to being straight but he fell in love with a man anyway.

Its not easy being gay and religious and I believe they need our support. The suicide rate for gay religious people is 8 times the general population

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Amazing to see gay people that love being a SDA so much that they continue to go to hear the sermons, despite how the Church and members are against them being gay.

• barry
    barry

jw facts not all the SDA members are against them many support them I have found out the lesbian couple in the video are office bearers in the church now but are unsure of a new minister appointed to their church. The SDAs are pluralistic in their beliefs my grandmother was a very devout SDA but wouldn't go to church in the last 20 years of her life because of the liberal members v the conservative members v the progressive members. Thats why our family is now Anglican

Many in the church do think for themselves look at sgamovie.com see the sda members that gave their approval of the movie and the movie was shown in some sda churches.

Many sda go to a church school and then go onto an sda university and are not exposed to the wider community. Unlike the witnesses they do promote education.

I don't have the same connection with many of my former sda friends I used to have non sda friends visit their churches when I was a kid so I don't have that same connection. Also I can't stand Ellen White

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My grandson is SDA, he has gone to SDA school only, he is graduating high school in June and plans go to SDA college to major in theology or divinity. I don't know that much about the church, but I do think it has been good for him. He attends SDA due to his other grandmother, neither of his parents attend. He seems very well adjusted, lots of friends, just a really great kid. His long term goal is to have his own non denominational church someday, which tells me he is not that committed to the religion. At least he will get an education out of it, I am y happy about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit