Orthodox Rabbi wraps himself in Plastic Bad to fly over cemetary

by designs 7 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

When I read this story from a few news sources I thought it was a joke. Maybe someone can post the pic of this Rabbi on a plane wrapped head to toe in a plastic bag. The purpose I still don't quite get- you cannot fly over a cemetary if you are a holy priest? And the solution if you have to fly is wrapping yourself in a baggie and that makes it ok with God???

Does the logic come through on this- is it that you are not to come between God in the sky and the dead in the grave. I know in Judaism you place a stone on the grave and place dirt on the coffin at the service but this was a new one.

Superstitions about the dead and God(s) are always fascinating if not more than a little funny lol

Coming from the JW background where there is almost zero ceremony for the dead and emotions must be checked least you show you don't believe in the resurrection and JWs rarely if ever visit a grave site afterwards this just made me really curious

• designs
    designs

That should read in the title Plastic Bag lol

How the hell do you change the title line if you make a booboo

• Inisc
    Inisc

I saw this on huffington post, it's amazing what superstitious things people will believe

• Inisc
    Inisc

As if a plastic bag will protect them anymore than a fuselage of a plane.

• designs
    designs

lnisc- I get desecrating a grave but the logic of flying over a cemetary, I mean at what angle are they talking about and what airline would allow this lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm offering a correction. A Kohen would wrap himself when flying because airlplanes transport body parts, such as transplant organs.

Prohibition of Kohen - a priest must not be defiled by a dead person. I see that a Kohen is a particular kind of priest, the one that is allowed in the holy of holies. Keep in mind that there is always a way to become ritually clean again.

The Shabbat Elevator - prohibition to operate electronics on the Sabbath.

Thirty-nine other prohibitions on the Sabbath.

Also note that these prohibitions are observed by Orthodox or Ultra-Orthodox Jews only.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife works in the travel industry catering to the well to do. The requests they get do drive her nuts sometimes. But the ship is accustomed to sending employees to turn light switches off and on for the clients on the Sabbath.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Orthodox Jews have rules against carrying anything out of their domain on the Shabbat. A domain could be a walled property or a walled city. Since a mother cannot carry a child to walk to Shabbat, the have a work around, someone creates a 'eruv' an enclosure, made by string, around the neighborhood. It just seems a bit funny to me that they create all these rules, so then they have to create ways to get around the rules. They have Shabbat lamps because they can't turn lights on or off on Shabbat, they have cover that they can move to block out the light. I guess it is no worse than the dubs and all their stupid rules that they create. I think some people just like to make up rules for others to follow, and some people like to be told what to do, when using common sense and your own conscience will do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit