How habits are formed

by WishingLiz 4 Replies latest jw friends

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

I just listened to this talk about Morphic Resonance by Rupert Sheldrake. I find it quite interesting. In it he talks about the formation of habits in and learning. If what he postulates is true, I'm thinking, the more Ex JW's talk about TTATT and the JW organization ( finding and uncovering falsehoods, like is done here) the more JW's will see and leave the organization, with little else needed to be done....any thoughts?

http://vimeo.com/11653660

It's an hour long, but I think worth it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I read a bit about sheldrake. Never got to read much of his writings. What is morphic resonance? There are wierd things that seem to happen naturally, like the same discoveries made independently at near the same times.

S

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sheldrake's theory of Morphic Resonance has not stood up to scrutiny.....yet. I have read one book by him and my Bulls**T Meter went off the clock so I checked up, and it don't stack up......yet. Google him and the theory.

I keep saying "yet" because I have a gut feeling that something along the lines of what he says will be proven one day. The problem he has is two-fold.

1) research in to the mind itself and the "spiritual" side of it is difficult in the extreme, therefore funding is difficult to get.

2) The Scientific Establishment is, in attitude, almost like the Catholic Church was before the Enlightenment, it frowns on any Hypothesis that does not fit a Materialist model.

We are physical beings only, what goes on in our heads is only electro-chemical reactions etc etc is the Orthodox Scientific view, anything else is like belief in faeries.

The problem is that we are not just like a machine, a robot with feelings, we are more than that, Scientific orthodoxy is in danger of stifling original research and original thought, it seems that the great Richard Dawkins is a little too much in the closed minded Orthodox camp, sadly.

• gone for good
    gone for good

Wishing Liz -

Hello and welcome to you.

You are probably correct about the gradual absorbtion of knowledge bringing about change.

However there is some urgency involved with this particular knowledge, as people are in peril and pain right now.

So like the medical/educational feilds push their agendas forward ASAP to bring relief, comfort and health - so too with liberating the exploited, the sooner the better for everyone.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

Hi Phizzy - In his defence, Sheldrake doesn't claim to know it all either, but he's willing to ask the questions and think outside the box.

Collective learned consciousness and holographic memories stored somewhere in the ether are definitely out there.

Peace, and well wishes to all here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit