Don't should all over yourself

by man in black 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

Looking back over 29 years as a jw it really shocks me to reflect on how passive young people are molded toward this religions goals.

Dont ever plan on attending college, instead focus your life toward the goal of pioneering. Dont look at building a future in this world,,, focus on gaining a position within the congregation and the organization, ( ms, elder, missionary, etc). The list can go on and on, but hopefully readers get the picture I'm trying to paint here.

I ran into this article last week, and I'm amazed at how well it fits into the jw mindset toward young ones :

www.artofmanliness.com/2011/01/24/dont-should-all-over-yourself/

I hope it copied correctly, this computer is not replying to me at all.

Perhaps any of the young ones contemplating moving on up the jw corporate ladder will read this article and see what can happen after you grow up, and many of the opportunities available to you now are totally gone

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/01/24/dont-should-all-over-yourself/

Abso-blooming-lutely true!

Did we not all "should-ourselves" all the years that we were "in"? The screw that the WTS can turn is to convince you that the assignments come, not from mortal man, but from God himself. Now, who wants to think himself a resistor against the God Almighty? That makes you think that you should do it....

• jw07
    jw07

My parents and allot of their JW friends are screwed right now thanks to thinking they did not need to plan for the future, with respects to retirement etc. They are aging, deteriorating in health steadily, and things they should have put in place to make life more comfortable now are.........not there. In previous years their rhetoric was allot of 'the end is near so we don't need to worry about that', now it's more along the lines of: 'we're suffering, but Jehovah will provide'.

I see allot of dubs my age group (20s) following their footsteps, and on this present course, in another 20-30 years we WILL BE OUR PARENTS. It's sad that this has gone on for many generations, as each feels a sense of entitlement: 'we're special, some magical guy in the sky is going to solve all our problems if we study these books written by men and do EXACTLY as they say. Isolating friends and family, making weird life choices with no logical basis, sticking to doctrine purely out of emotional attachment, and paying the corporation which is strangling and robbing them of their productivity and useful life.

I get pissed more and more at the status quo each day, especially since I have to pretend to be in for the meanwhile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit