Vulcan--2013,May,Our Kingdom Ministry/

by Atlantis 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

In the USA we've always had to register for the Selective Service within a few weeks of our 18th birthdays. I don't know of anyone who didn't do that.

In the USA, the military is now "all-volunteer," and the "draft" has not been used for many years. But Selective Service is still in place and can be reactivated very quickly should there be a national emergency (i.e., Red Chinese soldiers land on the beaches of Malibu, California, etc.) I don't know if local draft boards are still in place, as they would have nothing to do, but I know that they can grab enough politicians to volunteer for a sizable sum of money to staff those boards.

I think the last time any JWs actually went to prison was in the early 1970s.

The bigger issue is "national service." The USA has remnants of the Peace Corp and a couple of other semi-voluntary service organizations, but none are used as alternatives to actual military draft. The Watchtower's position has always been, and still seems to be along those lines, that anything connected with military functions is verboten. And yet I am amazed at how many JWs work for police departments in support roles and in courthouse clerical positions - clearly government jobs requiring questionable compromises.

JV

• itsyou
    itsyou

Can somebody explain the timeline please? TIA

• Awake 22 July 1970

Watching the World: Who are entitled to draft exemption? The Supreme Court of the United States ruled on June 15 that men who have conscientious scruples against all war based on moral and ethical reasons are entitled to draft exemptions. The new interpretation of the Selective Service law by the High Court’s 5-to-3 decision exempts from military service “all those whose consciences, spurred by deeply held moral, ethical, or religious beliefs, would give them no rest or peace if they allowed themselves to become a part of an instrument of war.” Considerations of policy, pragmatism or expediency would be no bases for exemption, the Court ruled.

• Awake 22 May 1975

Watching the World: The U.S. Selective Service System’s requirement for a man to register for the draft within a month of his eighteenth birthday was abolished on April 1. Now all men born in a given year will be required to register during just one brief period each year. The dates are to be announced later this year. When the induction system was replaced by the volunteer army, it was feared that many men would either unintentionally or purposely forget to register. However, the Selective Service System director reports that more 18-year-olds registered last year than were believed to be alive.

• Kingdom Ministry June 1976

Announcements: The Government has announced that the Selective Service arrangement ceased to function as of January 23, so none now reaching 18 years of age will have to register. Brothers of draft age who are in the pioneer service, or elders or ministerial servants, should not request of the Society certificates to use verifying their ordination, since the draft arrangement no longer functions.

• Kingdom Ministry May 1983

Announcements: Selective service regulations require that all men register for the draft when reaching 18 years of age. All of those required to do so should take care of this matter promptly, viewing it as a Christian’s obligation to the superior authorities. Elders will want to have in mind when young brothers are nearing the age of 18 and give them appropriate reminders. Questions as to the young Christian’s responsibilities in this regard may be answered by the elders.

....and approximately annually thereafter (depending on other KM Announcements?) with wording variations up to....

• Kingdom Ministry January 2008

Announcements: U.S. Selective Service regulations require that all men under the age of 26 who are (1) citizens and have reached 18 years of age or (2) noncitizens who move to the United States must register within 30 days. From the time a man registers until he turns 26, he must notify Selective Service within ten days of any change of address. Compliance with this law is a Christian’s obligation to the superior authorities. Elders should remind those to whom this applies or will soon apply of their duty to register.

itsyou

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Vulcan!!!

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

I think I'll just take the bike and you can keep the links.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Elders in a lot of congregations will have a brief conversation with any brother about to turn 18 to make sure they register. It's more of a friendly remidner than some sort of heavy handed discussion.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

This explains it well Thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit