"Signs Of An Emerging Police State" ?

by metatron 9 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/1-signs-of-an-emerging-police-state/

Obviously, this is a matter of subjective judgement - but that doesn't make it any less important. It's something that has depressed me increasingly since 9/11 happened.

The good part is: I think we just hit a tipping point, a turnaround.

I think Rand Paul's filibuster crystallized a growing counter response to the loss of freedom in the US - and the Western world. In recent newsI note that:

The states are rebelling against the NDAA, marijuana prohibition, local policing authority by federal officials and gun control.

The Attorney General publically admitted that the Big Banks are above the the law. Senator Warren berated a Treasury official by noting that there seemed to be no amount of money laundering crime a bank could commit that would get them arrested.

A Federal court announced limits on seizing laptops at the borders. Israel is troubled by emerging limits on American support. The Vatican is openly in trouble with molestation and financial scandals. The military-industrial complex is in trouble because the F-35 is loaded with problems and vunerabilities.

There is a middle path in life, as Buddha noted - and neither anarchy nor authoritarian rule are desirable. There is hope, after all.

metatron

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

We are getting closer and closer to a Police state here in UK.

The right to protest and march and free speech are hallmarks of our society. It's what our grandparents fought and died for.

If peaceful protest is banned then only one option will remain. It would appear that our once great nation is being sucked into a military style dictatorship, run by and for the benefit of the ultra rich. In fact, nothing has changed since the election. One might say its got worse. If the elections are just when we pick which of the ultra rich will rule us - its time to change the system.

Dissent is becoming a criminal activity. When free speech is outlawed, only outlaws will have free speech.

As the press went into overdrive about the vote to permit gay marriage, a House of Commons committee quietly axed amendments to the Justice and Security Bill that would have made it less damaging to your freedom.

This is the controversial Bill to allow ‘secret courts’ in the UK, so cases that are potentially embarrassing to government can be held behind closed doors.

As it now stands, defendants – or claimants in civil cases – will be excluded from the hearings where their fates will be decided. They will not be allowed to know or challenge the details of the case against them and will have to be represented by a security-cleared special advocate, rather than their own lawyer.

There are many demonstrations being planned here on March 30th to protest the welfare cuts. On Friday Cameron stated the disabled are exempt from the reforms but charities have shown 2/3rd of those affected will be the disabled. He doesn't even know or understand his own policies. The same day these cuts are enforced the ruling elite and millionaires get a tax break worth over £100,000 each!

• metatron
    metatron

The UK's security policies can have a wide ranging effect that some might not realize.

I have consciously avoided posting links on this site because of the threat of "D" notices in regard to allegations that pedophile activity by upper classes may be covered up as part of national security.

No joke. This stuff appears and vanishes on the 'Net. It's almost unbelievably sick and I really hope it gets exposed.

metatron

• 88JM
    88JM

The C.O. here even quoted the head of the society's legal department that: "the U.K. is sleep-walking into a police state". Rather alarming for many reasons, not to mention the ongoing "Operation Elveden" investigation into corrupt police taking payments from the press for information.

There are some rather worrying new laws around at the moment and yet only a few months ago there was the whole scandal over "super-injunctions".

Now, people posting things on twitter that probably weren't meant to be taken seriously are now finding themselves in court, and also copyright laws being made with no "right to parody".

I thought this Radio 4 episode of "The Moral Maze" was a good discussion of the issues involved with social media:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ntgw5

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I telephoned my federal reps to urge them to be prudent concerning the Patriot Act. Terrorists cannot win a military engagement. If we over react and surrender our most basic freedoms, we destroy ourselves

During the Civil War, Chief Justice Taney feared imminent arrest by federal forces. Lincoln controlled the military and Taney only had good will.

• scotoma
    scotoma

All states are Police states when discontent arises.

When unions were striking in the early part of the 1900's the police busted up the unions.

When African Americans were demanding their rights who was beating their heads with clubs?

When the anti-war protests threatened the democratic convention in 1968 the police tear gassed the crowds and beat them bloody.

When there were riots after MLK was shot Mayor Daly put out a shoot to kill order for vandals.

Don't forget Kent State where students were killed when the National Guard started shooting at the protesters.

I am so sick of right-wing conservatives whining about a police state. The police are on the red-neck side of the spectrum.

Police are authoritarian just like most conservatives republicans.

The only reason they moan about drones is because it involves the policy of a black president. If a republican was in power their last concern would be about censoring drone usage. In 20 years you'll be able to buy a small drone at a Sports Show for deer hunting. Same with the TSA complaints.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

We are there, thanks to Obama and fiends.

NightOwl

• metatron
    metatron

The danger that libertarians point out is that the current war on terror has no defined end. The Constitution allows for emergency measures in war or insurrection. These things got used in the Civil War and WW2.

There is talk that Obama (and some Republicans) want this "war" to go on indefinitely - very bad for freedom.

I did notice that the (liberal) NY Times carried a frontpage article about Rand Paul's effort that was quite favorable - used the word "Bipartisan" in the headline....

metatron

• Berengaria
  • EntirelyPossible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit