Helping the Depressed Souls

by ISP 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Although Christians as a whole “rejoice in the Lord,” some among them suffer various forms of depression. (Philippians 4:4) Severe mental depression is a serious emotional disorder that has even led to suicide. At times, brain chemistry and other physical factors are involved. Nevertheless, depression can often be reduced through discerning help provided by others. Thus, Paul gave the exhortation: “Speak consolingly to the depressed souls.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14) We should, therefore, joyfully provide emotional support to depressed souls. But how can we identify genuinely depressed souls that are not play-acting? Are there any sure fire indications of a ‘stricken spirit’ (Proverbs 15:13)? How can we tell for sure those who have “disquieting thoughts” for no reason (Psalm 94:19.) from those who just want our money?

Well - clinical research over the last ten minutes has produced some very revealing results that can help all to identify deserving ones.

1. Walking and talking backwards.

Our investigator pointed out ‘This is very difficult to do. I think that’s definitely weird and must mean summat’.

2. Listening to Radio static
    ‘I tried it myself after two hours I thought I could hear voices. This would have to be unusual behavior.’

3. Creating an imaginary pet. Holding and feeding it etc. After 2 weeks saying
    its missing and can anyone on the board help.

‘Another reason why I do not have pets in my household’

4.Emptying the fish tank. Filling it with beer and sardines. Spending time watching and talking to the fish.

‘A must-indicator for discerning depresso-insano-wierdo types.’

How pleased we are that all will be restored to perfect emotional, physical, and spiritual health. Not that these ones will have no recollection of their past stupidities, but in view of all the pleasant things they will then have to think about and to rejoice over, there will be no reason for them to call to mind or to focus on all the sad experiences of the past where they made grevious mistakes, let people down, wasted money and were disliked by so many. Imagine, each morning to awaken with a crystal-clear mind, eager to get on with the day’s activity—no longer hampered by a depressed state! Until then let us help all those using our full powers of discernment.

ISP

Edited by - ISP on 5 February 2001 21:30:39

• ISP
    ISP

I guess no one thought this was much good. I thought the style was somewhat Watchtoweresque and the identifying traits helpful.

ISP

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I am in a hurry but I promise to read this later.

• waiting
    waiting

hey ISP,

We British may not be the greatest at winning the Winter Olympics, but at least we carry our bloody flag properly. Mike Freeman

You Englishmen are so cute.

waiting

• ISP
    ISP

Thanks Waiting you cutie!

BTW have you had a reply from the WTS yet? Only joking!

ISP

• Prisca
    Prisca

Sorry, ISP, I thought you were seriously poking fun at the depressed souls, so I didn't find it very funny, and chose not to post a comment to it.

The humour went waaaay over my head. Ahh well!

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife
    Sorry, ISP, I thought you were seriously poking fun at the depressed souls, so I didn't find it very funny, and chose not to post a comment to it.

Me too! I had just read Logical's very serious, I want to die, post and the joke was lost on me.
    Sorry, if meant to be funny, it was.
    TW

• mommy
    mommy

Well shut my mouth and call me Sally!
    I too had decided to ban you from further comment from me:) I am sorry with Logical in need of help lately, I too took it the wrong way.Maybe in the future you could put....lol or heehee at the end:)
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit