Found this article cited on Reddit today, Interesting

by XBEHERE 3 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    In their fantastic book about cognitive dissonance, Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me), Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson write about the great psychologist Leon Festinger who, in 1957, infiltrated a doomsday cult. The cult was led by Dorothy Martin who called herself Sister Thedra. She convinced her followers in Chicago an alien spacecraft would suck them up and fly away right as a massive flood ended the human race on December 21, 1954. Many of her followers gave away everything they owned, including their homes, as the day approached. Festinger wanted to see what would happen when the spaceship and the flood failed to appear. Festinger hypothesized the cult members faced the choice of either seeing themselves as foolish rubes or assuming their faith had spared them. Would the cult members keep their weird beliefs beyond the date the world was supposed to end and become even more passionate as had so many groups before them under similar circumstances? Of course they did. Once enough time had passed they could be pretty sure no spaceships were coming, they began to contact the media with the good news: their positive energy had convinced God to spare the Earth. They had freaked out and then found a way to calm down. Festinger saw their heightened state of arousal as a special form of anxiety – cognitive dissonance. When you experience this arousal it is as if two competing beliefs are struggling in a mental bar fight, knocking over chairs and smashing bottles over each other’s heads. It feels awful, and the feeling persists until one belief knocks the other out cold.

Here is a link to the entire article if you're interested.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/10/05/the-benjamin-franklin-effect/

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Reading about this was one of the biggest factors that allowed me to break free from the cult - once you understand how even really intelligent people can sometimes get fooled into staying in a cult, it gives you a little more resolve to trust yourself and not just blindly follow because other smart people are doing so. There was one particular elder in my congregation that I appreciated for his intelligence, and that kept me uncertain of the validity of my own doubts.

If you're interested, the book When Prophecy Fails was written about this cult by Leon Festinger himself.

• Awakenednow
    Awakenednow

It's so true. I read the book "2" about a former Mormon and so the reality snuck in "the back door" and it freed me.

Funny when that guy that predicted the end only a few years back in the states was in the news, my Jw mom was rolling her eyes and laughing about how moronic he and his followers were. I cautioned her not to laugh to hard because Jws did the same thing, 1870's 1914 1925 (ancient worthy resurrection) 1975. That guy was not very different and the look on her face was sadly priceless. Like huh? It hit home but dissonance hit back and she went back under the spell.

I remember one of those books on the subject stated how religion and beliefs are lodged in the survival parts of our brains and any threats to the belief trigger that survival threat and they fight tooth and nail to hold that belief even in the face of glaringly opposite factual truth. The Scientology movie out on HBO is fantastic to highlight all this.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Funny when that guy that predicted the end only a few years back in the states was in the news, my Jw mom was rolling her eyes and laughing about how moronic he and his followers were. I cautioned her not to laugh to hard because Jws did the same thing, 1870's 1914 1925 (ancient worthy resurrection) 1975. That guy was not very different and the look on her face was sadly priceless. Like huh? It hit home but dissonance hit back and she went back under the spell.

I think you're talking about Harold Camping. I had a similar experience (though it wasn't intentional) when I and a few others were joking around arrogantly (as JWs often do haha) about how obviously wrong he was. "The bible says no man knows the day or the hour!" etc etc. One older woman said "I don't think we should be joking around about that. A lot of people are still sensitive after what happened in 1975." That sentence was probably one of the top 3 things that led me to eventually look at apostate sites online. When they rehashed the new overlapping generation, I couldn't get the question out of my head "How are we any different than Harold Camping?" That's a question that can't be answered honestly and leave you still wanting to be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit