I dont agree with you but I will fight to the death for you to say it

by barry 4 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3iu0Hvv6s&feature=player_detailpage#t=3495s

Here is an SDA agonizing about his church in front a congregation. He would be regarded as very conservative and have some very much redundant teachings but would represent a large section of the church. eg his stand on righteousness by faith is now not held by the denomination.

At least If people are allowed to talk it serves the purpose of us all knowing about there nutty idears and so we can decide we want none of it. Barry

• barry
    barry

Thats a utube link and I am not able to get it to work so can anyone help?

• darthweef
    darthweef

This is over an hour long .. any chance you want to summarize for those of us that are done with public talks?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Freedom of speech does more than protecting people's right to speak things that are not true. It protects our right to speak things that are true, even though they can decimate those perpetrating the "official" lies.

Without freedom of speech, we are stuck with a tiny minority of parasites speaking what is to their advantage, and everyone else has to go along with them to their detriment. The truth never gets out, people are enslaved, and the minority in control maintain this. We get the people in charge stating that [group trying to enslave everyone] is innocent, and everyone else is scum, and anyone that accuses [group trying to enslave everyone] of trying to enslave everyone is going to be silenced. We see this on forums (usually other posters will spam the Official Lie when someone tries speaking the truth, someone will complain anti-[group trying to enslave everyone], or mods will censor, edit, and ban for such speech. Sometimes [group trying to enslave everyone] will force such forums to censor these posts and ban the posters or else face fines and jail time. Which is what we do not need.

True freedom of speech ultimately reveals the truth. You have the right to state that something cures cancer. If it does, the word spreads. If it doesn't, people also have the right to state that the substance doesn't work, and even causes dangerous side effects that are worse than the cancer. Ultimately, whoever has the stronger argument wins, and people are free to experiment on their own at their own risk (free speech doesn't guarantee accuracy). Suppression of a statement, even a bad one, simply means people are not as free to analyze both sides and experiment as well as they might have.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am all for free speech, but all freedoms have to be relative, or my freedom becomes your prison.

In the U.K we have Laws against hate Speech, and Speech likely to cause Violence. I do not see those restrictions as being wrong, I think they are good laws.

What does worry me is the self imposed censorship by many so as not to offend Islamists in particular, but other groups too want not to be "offended" and the Media panders to them.

Nobody has the right not to be offended, you don't die because you are offended, those that take offense, like the benighted ignorant Taliban type Muslims may though become violent, so I see why in this country we don't publish much that is deemed to be offensive to them.

The problem is that we are then censoring what we produce because of Islamic sensibilities, somethingwe should not do.

We need more courageous, outspoken realists like the great Pat Condell.

It is a shame too that JW's can never speak their mind or say what they really believe unless in the company of those they really trust, no JW would include in a Public Talk his private differences with current WT teaching, unless he did it by mistake, which I have seen done, Bro Numbnuts was not up to date with the latest, he got on the platform after the WT study and revised what he had said, but still made a balls-up of his explanation, hilarious !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit