Your Best Garage Sale Buys

by designs 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• designs
    designs

A woman in Milwaukee bought a Lithograph she liked at the local Goodwill for $9.00, turns out it was an Alexander Calder print worth $9000.00!

My wife lives for this stuff, this story will keep her going for another decade lol. Her big finds have been a Tiffany sterling silver piece, a Tony Bennett signed Lithograph (my favorite), and the cream of the crop a signed 4 piece Lithograph by Picasso contemporary Bernard Buffet she found and paid $12.00 for.

• metaspy
    metaspy

While not as neat as those examples, I once bought a 4 foot tall box of matches for $3. (had approx. 20,000 matches in it)

For a pyro at age 13, it was a great find!

• pontoon
    pontoon

Not a yard sale, but at an auction a few months ago I got a fairly new Nutone central vacuum cleaner system, with hoses and attatchments for $25 bucks. Installed it in my house and it works great and because the unit is in the basement it's very quiet, you can really hear the suction.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

All of my vintage Singer sewing machines, from my treadle that I got for $75 to my little Genie 354. I found for my hubby a E kornes Stressless Royal chair and ottoman in great condition, that would have costed me close to $3000, for a cool 40 bucks.

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

Metaspy, that is so funny!

There have had so many great finds. Nothing in the thousands but not too shabby. Most recently I entered a shop that didn't really have much of interest until I looked at this bottom shelf. The most wonderful designer vintage silk scarves were there. Heaven! I took them up front and tried to buy them all, but what I had actually walked into was a food/clothing pantry. I had no idea. Lol! The mean old lady behind the counter would only let me get two. She said there had to be enough for everyone. I tried every form of bribery possible. Nope. So I took my two scarves and am going back this week for two more! I'm donating $. Don't worry. But for those who enjoy fashion, I got a like new Christian Dior and an Ostinelli. Probably $100-200 each new.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I have found some amazing things

1) "Toy" Football Helmet that turned out to be a REAL RARE Vintage piece - $1.50 turned to $275

2) Hermes NEck Ties - $1.00 at Goodwill (3 of them ) $3 turned into $450.00

3) $2.50 Buco Leather Jacket turned into $1150 (that was my best winner) and made a happy guy in CA even happier

I love Goodwill, Value Village Village and all the Thirft Stores I have ever gone in!

GOD BLESS THRIFT STORES

• designs
    designs

Back in my JW days when I needed a lot of suits there was somebody my size in the Presbyterian church across the street from the KH. They would sell the suits at their Thrift Shop and for years I always had nice suits on the cheap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit