A Mormon becomes a JW in the Feb 2013 Watchtower...

by cedars 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Really interesting OP thanks Qcmbr.

• barry
    barry

The mormons have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and thats a big plus

Pity their theology is all wrong and the book of mormon is fiction

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Maybe the guy was tired of having to wear Majic Underwear.

Rub a Dub

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

MOR-JWs_MON. Next= OIN-OIN-LUIS-TED.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Somehow, this reminds of a guy I used to work with, who told me he caught Gonorrhea twice, from the same woman. Some people just don't learn.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I think the point Cedars made was that:

1. The article showed that the Mormon gentleman was persuaded by "worldly" sources that the jw teachings were correct.

2. As we all well know, jws are NOT allowed to read anything "worldly".

3. Therefore, the logic behind the article (whether it was true or not) was totally fallible.

It cannot be right for someone of another faith to use "worldly" sources to "come into the truth" but wrong for someone of the jw faith to NOT be able to use "worldly" sources to read about the jws.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Has anyone seen the film "Latter Days", about a Mormon Missionary who comes "out of the closet" to his neighbour, who is Gay?

I believe the Mormons have a provision for LGBT people.. to help cope with the Clash that exists with Mormon Doctrine.

This film however, clearly shows a Shunning by his family... him Mum eventually comes to visit him.

I found the film very moving... does any provision exist in the WT movement for LGBT support these days?

Any thoughts?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

LisaRose: If you want to believe Joseph Smith found golden tablets and spoke to a salamander, well, I guess that's your choice, I really don't care.

Well, no one I know believes that anyone talks with salamanders. You are behind the times, LR. The whole "salamander" thing was a hoax perpetrated by Mark Hofmann in the early 80s. Most likely the most talented forger in history, he obviously drew on scandalous anti-Mormon literature from the early to mid-1800s. The text itself caused many to doubt its legitimacy; however, many others could not prove it was not legitimate. It took a trained investigator months to note that the ink, under a microscope, was cracked. But in known documents of the day, the ink showed no such irregularities.

To slur a religion you know little to nothing about does nothing for your credibility. If you don't, as you say, care, why post at all?

Qcmbr:The lds church is being decimated in the uk....

So is every Christian religion. As stated by LDS apologist Dr. Daniel Peterson:

European Secularism

A more interesting form of secular anti-Mormonism springs out of, or at least is related to, elite European secularism generally.

Some years ago, with time on my hands following the close of an academic gathering in Graz, Austria, I spent the better part of a day looking through the city’s bookstores. The dollar being weak, prices being high, and my luggage being cramped, I did much more looking and browsing than buying. I soon discovered an extraordinarily interesting topic: The treatment of Mormonism in travel books published for America-bound Europeans. Since then, I’ve enjoyed many similar books in French and Italian bookstores as well as across Germanic Europe. Almost uniformly, the tone is one of astonishment–subtly expressed or, often, quite open–at the stupidity and gullibility of the Latter-day Saints. Additionally, Mormon history and doctrine are plainly deemed too patently absurd to justify much effort at accuracy.

But Mormons represent merely an opportunity for a more general European attitude to focus on a particularly ludicrous target. In a recent book attempting to explain the American mind to bemused German-speakers, Professor Hans-Dieter Gelfert observes that, To Europeans, American religiosity must necessarily seem naive, if not primitive. Here [in Germany], educated people are assisted, above all, by enlightened theologians who reinterpret Christian teaching as an ethical doctrine suited for the everyday, but at the same time philosophically abstract. In the meanwhile, there are pastors who believe that they can get by altogether without mentioning God’s name. It’s completely different in America, where the Bible is still the Word of God.

According to Phil Zuckerman, of Pitzer College, rates of agnosticism or atheism in Scandinavia, the Czech Republic, and France reach levels higher than fifty percent. There and elsewhere, underused churches are being converted into concert halls, museums, art galleries, stores, restaurants, condos, even nightclubs. In Scandinavia, for some reason, it is popular to transform churches into carpet stores. It is well known that the late Pope John Paul II believed that the future of Catholicism lay not in spiritually dying Europe, but to the south, in Latin America and, perhaps even more so, in Africa. Benedict XVI appears to share that view, with reason.

“In the eyes of many if not most Europeans,” Professor Gelfert observes, “American taste is equivalent to tastelessness.”7 (One is tempted to suggest that, given their own still relatively recent history of something rather worse than poor taste, a bit of humility might be in order for the Germans, at least. And I say this as something of a Germanophile.) Thus, European disdain for American religiosity functions as part of a broader contempt for American culture, nicely embodied, as a surprisingly large number of residents of both the Continent and the British Isles see it, in our religious fanatic cowboy president. And what could be more American than The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, widely known for its freshly-scrubbed, naive, nineteen-year-old missionaries, hailing mostly from the American West?

Anti-Mormonism in Europe is overwhelmingly of the secular variety; evangelical anti-Mormonism, on the whole, is no more than a minor irritant because the same general European secularism that directly challenges missionary success on the continent and in the British Isles also confronts and hampers our evangelical friends. But secularist anti-Mormonism is doing real damage to many fragile testimonies there, and an adequate response has still not materialized. This is a challenge that apologists in Europe itself but also in the Church’s American home base urgently need to address.

Source

You can watch his comments in total at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwccNZ_mmo&feature=player_detailpage

• cofty
    cofty

I saw a couple of Mormon missionary lads in my town last week. It was a hot Saturday and they were wearing black suits, white shirts and black ties - and no doubt very big white underpants. Looked pathetic.

When are you going to realise that British people are not impressed by risible fairy stories told by naive American boys who should be back home drinking beer and chasing girls?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Another depressingly moronic insight, Cofty. Sometimes I wish you would actually have something substanative to say rather than ejaculating whatever first enters your head. This all we ever get from you. At least QCMBR makes intelligent posts, though I don't agree with many of them. And BTW, we have plenty of British saints, as well as Spanish, German and even French saints. So please do so evermuch excuse me for not recognizing you as spokesman for the British people. Toodles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit