WT February 15, 2012 - Financial security & retirement plan main concern with Dubs

by bats in the belfry 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bats in the belfry
  • bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Many JWs seem to have gotten the message that the 'old world' will be with them for a while yet. They are gearing up to prepare for a financially secure future, missing out on boring and repetitive meetings.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Is there an attached document, can not see it?

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

Ah yes, but it's perfectly ok for the society to spend tons of time and (your) money playing the stock market and investing it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BATS IN THE BELFRY:

The remaining JWs are now beginning to realize what I knew and planned for well over 25 years ago. I remember a few stupid remarks when I mentioned in conversation that I thought retirement plans were important. At one point years ago, a JW did my taxes and scoffed at my putting money in an IRA.

While I realize anything can happen with the world, I don't want to feel regret and self-hatred for NOT doing it. The bible does say that "money is a protection" and even the lowly ant stores up, so why not us? I can only imagine the anger and worry that JWs who didn't plan must feel! I am not gloating and certainly should have done more.

This religion had most of the members in a sleep mode and now we have all had a very RUDE awakening!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

That was from the district convention this passed summer if I remember

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Does the WTS own stock in a dog food company? They seem to want to condemn the elderly to a marginal lifestyle, that's for sure.

• sir82
    sir82

That's rich.

It's the classic "squeeze play". Screw the rank & file from both ends. "Strongly encourage" them not to go to college on the front end, and "strongly encourage" them not to save for retirement on the back end.

Actually, come to think of it, those who "work overtime on meeting nights" most likely due so out of immediate financial need, never mind about "retirement planning".

That's what happens when you leave high school and pioneer right away, working part time jobs and gaining no practical skill. You end up having to work 60 or 70 hours a week, 2 or 3 jobs, just to meet your basic needs. 40 hours a week as a Wal-Mart clerk doesn't get you very far.

Of course, if JWs were allowed to go to college without feeling like pariahs, they could earn a decent living and not have to "work overtime on meeting nights".

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

. . . btw, it is the WT February 15, 2013 issue.

All the meetings the WTBTS registers with to shore up monies lately, is it any wonder the flock does starts consolidating their means of living?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The older generation (I use the word in the dictionary sense!) has given up on "living forever". Their hope now is a ressurrection. That is what I hear all around

A public speaker made a point of this a while back. He quoted a friend who had told him " I used to see myself as marching straight into the New World - but now I realize that I will get there via "the underground" "

The sad thing was that everybody laughed.. they think it funny that their expectations have been dashed. I cannot understand that .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit