Lets get real and heal, and give some space to those that are trying to do both

by AllTimeJeff 7 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I didn't mean being real and trying to heal to rhyme, but essentially, that's why people come here. And depending on where we are, we need space.

When you leave, one thing you will learn, quickly or otherwise, is what is REALity. I feel safe in saying that no JW leaves and just joins polite society, ready made for success with no issues.

Jobs? Dating? Money? Education? (Uh, the god/religion/faith question?) Good luck at first. You are going to stub your toe a little bit at least.

But that's why, if you look at Internet boards like this where former JWs is concerned, that's why you see amazingly angry political and religious arguments. Is it because you already know reality? Or simply trying to work it out from the safety and anonymity of your computer screen?

Reality is a difficult thing to looks at and acknowledge. Some were JWs for very judgmental reasons, others because they thought they could help people, or a mix of the two. Regardless, it sucks to learn that JWs are wrong. It hurts even more to realize that the world really isn't much better. There are lots of people like you, and lots of people whom you hate, or disagree with. And guess what? They aren't going away

That's reality.

And getting into reality, means getting into healing.

Healing yourself is very much a process of getting to know yourself first, and growing yourself as a unique, well rounded person second.

My suggestion, based on a little bit of experience (and hopefully, some hard earned wisdom), is to realize that reality is very colored by where you come from. Be humble and willing to listen to other opinions. Realize that you need to heal as well. Does it take years? Yes it does. But that doesn't mean you have to put off living while you heal. If you have a broken leg, you go to the doctor, put a cast on, learn how to walk on crutches while realizing that for the inconvenience of the cast and crutches, you are also healing, and looking forward to the time when the cast comes off, you can rehab the muscles, and be as strong as ever. Of course, you still work, and you still live with the temporary handicap. But in time, it heals. You heal.

if arguing on these boards is part of the process of discovering who you are and what you stand for, and it helps you heal, then go for it. But don't just leave your life here. And don't STAY angry. Anger is useful in short spurts, if only to get you started. But like a car that only stays in first gear, anger will only get you so far before it burns you out and leave you stuck in the middle of the road.

Theres only one life you control, and that's yours. And there will never be another you. Don't rob the world of the great person you can be. Learn who you really are, and share your gifts with all around you. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Coffee

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Good points Jeff.

Loz x

• minimus
    minimus

Jeff, I'm glad you post here!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Nicely said! Thanks, 00DAD

• mouthy
    mouthy

ALLTIMEJEFF!!!Well said mate!!!! Go to the head of the class..

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Thank you AlltimeJeff. I also wanted to thank minimus for posting here. I love to see the "oldtimers" sticking around. It gives me some sense of tranquility, because you have accompanied so many of us throughout the years and it gives strength to this board. Thank you!

• wannaexit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit