JW Homeschool

by grewupjw1969 20 Replies latest jw friends

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

As I was rumbling thru the internet I came across this site: www.newsystemschool.org

I didn't know that they had started homeschooling.

Grewup

• finally awake
    finally awake

there are several JW homeschool programs. We used to use Curriculum Services which is based in Florida, and I know a couple of families that used Pearblossom. I wasn't really impressed with either one, and I ended up selecting my own curriculum the last couple of years we homeschooled. My kids are in public school now, and way ahead of their peers academically. Socially, of course, they are behind the curve, but we're working on it.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

with our locale we would have a group of 3-6 studants with parents switching out driving in service.

kind of a precursor to actual programs. not "endorsed" by the gb but kinda "encouraged".

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

now that i think on it, it probably started as a study article. it was probably titled something with like "is homeschhooling right for a jw?"

and ended with something sappy like "so homeschooling might allow for more time in field service." WOW this stuff is for real. omfg

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

How sad,

in the uk if you remove your kid from school and dont teach them you can go to jail, no messing about. So many JW homeschool kids have just one qualification to get around this. Many are on benefits. All of them are in awful, menial task jobs. Poor kids, those parents are sentencing their kids to shit futures. Its shameful, damn those governing body bastards.

My sister was telling me that a school taught JW came round recently and thought the clock was broken because it said 00:00, the kid was 17. My sister told me how she couldnt read or write very well. It just made me so sad to hear that. I know a guy that started medical school whilst still 17, smashing the Krebs cycle (google it) inside out while JW homeschoolers couldn't use a 24hr clock. Painfully sad.

i think its child abuse, i really do.

snare x

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Just looked at the website.... While the rest of the normal kids are doing 6hr days of hard work, here is the JW homeschool suggestion...

" Often, the first year is the hardest, because some expect home schooling to be exactly like public school. This is not the case, just relax, and enjoy having your children close to you during these difficult times we are living in! Schedules vary, but most do school in the morning and other activities in the afternoon."

Which kids will fare better at exams do you think? I dont remeber half of the school day being a waste of time at all, so what exactly is the JW kid missing out on? There certainly isnt half a day of assembly, religious education, evolutionary FACT teaching or christmas card making, to be lost everyday of a kids school year.

Love and time with your child will be lovely and sweet but it wont pay their bills as an adult, it wont allow them time with their kids because they will be out all day window cleaning, painting and decorating, cleaning etc to get by.

This is horrendous advice!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Holy Batman cakes...

" If the child has not learned to read, remember that many are not ready at a very early age.. Some have had their natural desire to learn stifled by institutional programs..."

" New System School, Inc., while recommending social awareness, does not itself adhere to evolution, nationalism, racism, worldly philosophy, pagan festivities, or excessive competition."

evolution in the same list as racism and paganism. shit the bed, these people should not be teaching kids! Also excessive competition is what exactly? Who the hell promotes that? Ambition is a good thing, so lets hope they dont mean that.

lordy, lordy.... What hope for our dumb young ones?

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

to be fair, i got my reading comprehension from my choice. comics early & any and everything now. i knew how to grease palms and charm potential business connections and real world work experience by going to work with my pa at the age of 10. i honestly b elieve that a deprivation of formal education is what makes me who i am and makes me appreciate knowledge so much more. having said that, there are some definate limitations. ill never be a lawer or surgeon. clearly from my posts i have a hard time expressing my opinion. and missing out on finding where you fit on the social scale is not replaceable. also my math skills are not special, tho they dont suck... i do like thinking and learning.

this post really hits close, thanks for bringing it up. ive never had a chance to vent out loud.

• Kudra
    Kudra

So... the "Curriculum" link looks like an info blurb from the theocratic ministry school or something...

I especially like the part that says: " A lifelong interest in reading, learning, [sic] usually develops in our students. Community service usually becomes part of their life after graduation."

Community service usually becomes part of their life after graduation?? LOL, this would totally fool any "worldly" reader into thinking that the JW homeschool graduates would be doing municipal outreach or community organizing or something worthwhile. But we all know that is means that graduates of this sham will be only equipped for walking around out in Service (R) (TM).

Curriculum

NEW SYSTEM SCHOOL, INC. approaches the curriculum needs of the student by responding to the individual needs, educational goals, life goals, and abilities and interests of the student. It is flexible, interesting, and varied.

Language Arts, including communication and reading skills, Math, Science, and Social Studies (including History and Geography) form the central curriculum. Life skills and preparation for the career of their choice, trades, family responsibilities, and single life preparation skills are all provided. Fine arts, music, art, and creative expression are all encouraged. Health, Physical Education, and Bible Instruction are part of the curriculum.

Educational goals are reached through structured, disciplined studies, one-on-one attention, informal communication, research facilities, literature, and travel.

Children are helped to communicate with people of all ages, backgrounds, life skills, and interests; to care for others, respect animals and property, acquire thinking ability and discernment, and good judgment as to right and wrong, good study habits, and how to seek out knowledge and be attuned to sources of information.

A lifelong interest in reading, learning, usually develops in our students. Community service usually becomes part of their life after graduation.

• Kudra
    Kudra

They are careful not to emphasize science at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit