Blood Transfusions and Children's Rights

by jwfacts 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• sizemik
    sizemik

Nicely assembled Paul . . .

It's easy to run for miles with this subject, but you've been pretty concise, while still covering the topic well. The anecdotal examples are very well chosen . . . the Joel Cohen account was especially poignant and added some unique and very important perspective.

Such a statement is emotionally compelling when uttered by a child, but a minor that has undergone a life of one-sided indoctrination on blood is not in a position to make an informed decision on such a complex subject.

This point here is often poorly understood or not well made . . . but brilliantly illustrated by the Cohen example.

A thought on the summary and the rape thing . . .

"I would resist with all my strength such a violation of my body without my consent."
    I would make every effort to prosecute my attackers just as I would in a case of rape.”"

Incorrectly labelled food products are "a violation of my body without my consent." My point being . . . there are wide degrees of severity when it comes to personal violation, murder being the top end of the scale. To immediately pair rape and a medical procedure as having the same level of severity is very subjective . . . and arguably a logical fallacy. There is no argument for rape being beneficial or necessary . . . so the analogy is invalid for that reason alone. The link is very emotionally compelling as you mention . . . Jeez, Dr's are now "attackers" . . . so it's validity must be sound. I wonder if there are other flaws that could be highlighted that question it's validity.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Well said Sizemilk.

"How can blood save your life?" (http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/blood/you-have-the-right-to-choose/) is masterful in its misleading presentation of information. Here is an ironic quote:

"Clearly, the State can and should step in to protect a neglected child. Still, it is easy to see how very different it is when a caring parent requests high-quality nonblood medical therapy."

Also look at the following overstatement. "No one who objectively examines the facts can deny that blood transfusions involve great risk."

• Scully
    Scully

"'For the sons of Judah have done what is bad in my eyes,' is the utterance of Jehovah. 'They have set up their disgusting things in the house upon which my name has been called, in order to defile it. And they have built the high places of To'pheth, which is in the valley of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart.'" ~ Jeremiah 7:30, 31.

"And you must say, 'Hear the word of Jehovah, O you kings of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem. This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: "Here I am bringing a calamity upon this place, of which when anyone hears, his ears will tingle; for the reason that they have left me and have proceeded to make sacrificial smoke in it to other gods whom they had not known, they and their forefathers and the kings of Judah; and they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent ones. And they built the high places of the Ba'al in order to burn their sons in the fire as whole burnt offerings to the Ba'al, something that I had not commanded or spoken of, and that had not come up into my heart."'" ~ Jeremiah 19:3-5.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The Society claims that parents have the moral right to make decisions for their minor children in reliance on the opinion of a secular or Christian scholar who is quoted in the Insight Volume, I'm not sure where though. Might pay you to find that. I can try to dig it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit