Did Charles Taze Russell invent the concept of globalization?

by slimboyfat 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

I remember a lot of rants about "big business" in Russell's and Rutherford's writings.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Didn't Marshall McLuhan come up with the term "Global Village"?

. . . or was that Russell too?

• Satanus
    Satanus

You could say that rusell coined the term. However, inventing what it represents is entirely different. Anyhow, in the bigger picture globalisation is merely a continuation of the empire concept. Way back, the main tool in empire building was military conquest. The british, while using mainly military, later on used capitalism and industry.

S

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Russell did not use the term "globalization", the concept is kind of there, but he was dependent on the work of Depew, whom he was quoting.

Russell used the term "corporate giants" (quite literally) but he was not the first to do so. A Google search shows scattered (maybe independent) use of the expression in the 1800s.

" And of what else, Sir, should we, as Corporate Giants, be thinking? Punch. Tell of the statues so graceful, enwreath'd all in roses and myrtle. Magog. We knows no statue but one, and that 's Peace, cause her emblem 's a turtle" (Punch, 1851), "Q (2l50) It is very difficult for me to rationalize with the people I represent that they should be burdened on a day to day business with giving handouts to the corporate giants of this world without their having some say in the decisions being..." (Canada House of Commons, 1878), " William H. Vanderbilt parried the blows of corporate giants. Mephistopheles or Apollyon, I hardly know which, was his opposing champion. The role of the philanthropist was out of question" (The Current, 1885), " thus succeed among the corporate giants and monopolies whose products they have to obtain in exchange for their own" (Farming Corporations, 1892), etc.

Russell wasn't the first.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe the author of the globalization article is a Witness, Bible Student or ex-Witness and included the Russell reference for a laugh. Where else would any regular person get the idea to attribute the foundation of globalization theory to Charles Taze Russell of all people?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit