Birth Control

by turtleturtle 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

I have never understood why, according to the WT, JWs are okay (conscience matter) with birth control methods like the pill, mini-pill, Depo-Provera, and IUDs. I am not trying to spark an abortion debate. But I was actually angry at the WT when I started researching how the mini-pill prevented pregnancy. Research it for yourself! My spouse and I felt betrayed by the WT because they did not provide the proper spiritual food for us at the right time. I still remember praying and asking Jehovah for forgiveness for any life that was unknowingly aborted.

So, the WT condemns those who accept a blood transfusion but make it a conscience matter to have an IUD which does the following:

The IUD is generally accepted to work by causing the uterine lining (endometrium) to become incapable of accepting the implantation of an already fertilized ovum (i.e., a human embryo).

From: http://www.canfp.org/artman/publish/article_330.shtml

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Know an elders wife who had morning after pill. Keeping that one in my back pocket...

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

yeah I know a MS wife who had the IUD.

• Niveau
    Niveau

I don't get it... I mean, I'm assuming you're anti-abortion, but even if that's true, why would you have a problem with birth control methods that aren't abortificants?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Well, as I understand it (and I've not checked up on it recently) but you cannot be 100% sure with any post intercourse method of birth control that fertilisation has not occured. Of course different pills work in different ways but it's always been very very dodgy ground in my experience.

If I've misunderstood it then let me know. I might even look it up in the WT lib to see what it has to say on it.

• matt2414
    matt2414

I used to be absolutely against abortion when I followed the Watchtower's party line. But after I did exhaustive research without the "aid" of Watchtower publications, I don't see any scriptures that prohibit it. That said, however, could it be that the JWs have softened their stand on abortion to be more in line with its policy on blood. For example, it's now OK to take in a little bit of blood, so maybe it's OK to have a little bit of an abortion. I'm just sayin'.

Smart ladies choose choice.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" It is misleading, however, to speak of "a moment of conception" when sperm meets egg following sexual intercourse. Conception is not complete or viable until the fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus, which generally occurs about ten days to two weeks after ovulation.3 Up to fifty percent of fertilized eggs do not implant, and in those cases it is not possible to speak of conception.4 Except in cases of in vitro fertilization, it is impossible to know that fertilization has taken place until implantation occurs."

" Up to fifty percent of fertilized eggs do not implant.18 Of those that do, between twenty percent and fifty percent miscarry.19 Of all implantations, only about ten percent are successful pregnancies.20 If there is objection to the prevention of implantation as a method of abortion, on the assumption that this is the taking of life, then nature or God would be the greatest killer, because there are more spontaneous preventions of implantation than those performed medically.

http://www.christianethicstoday.com/cetart/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.main&ArtID=406

Better get busy on the praying.

• Diest
    Diest

Well then start bitching about IVF too. Your views on the matter are rather Catholic. The JWs dont seem to hold the view that life starts at sperm and egg meeting, but rather implantation of the egg. I think you are on shaky ground trying to argue that life starts before implantation and cell division. Cell division does not start until 24-30 hrs after fertilization.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

Listen, I am just going by the WT standards. If I am not mistaken, the WT says life begins at conception. I don't see how they can make an IUD a conscience matter and make blood transfusions a DFing offense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit