Jesus' Hands and Buddha's Head

by CloseTheDoor 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor
    I overheard an elder and sister talking last Sunday. She has been helping her mother move things out of her house to get ready for moving into a retirement home. She told the elder that her mother gave her one of those "praying hands" plaques and asked if she should keep it or throw it out. The elder said some people have had bad experiences with those, and it would probably be best to toss it out.

I don't have a problem with having one of those or not, to each his own. But the problem in what he said is that I heard the same elder tell another person that it was OK to have a small Buddha statue (a tiny Buddha head) in his apartment if it's only viewed as an insignificant nick-nac (decor) and not "worshiped." (The apartment was a furnished rental and the brother had no choice as to what was in there). Personally I thought the counsel was hypocritical on this elder's part. I have heard of others not wanting those "praying hands" plaques in their homes because they believed they are "too creepy." He said he would find a Watchtower article on the matter, but I don't know what may have been said in his follow up. I know some other elders who would never advise a publisher that it's OK to have a statue of Buddha in their home - or any religious statue for that matter.

I remember reading an article or "Questions from Readers" section about the use of religious figurines if they are only viewed as nick-nacs and not used for religious purposes. (I can't find it though). A December 22, 1976 Awake! seems to touch on this.
  • Splash
    Splash

Elders make up rules as they go along.

If you don't want to hear made up rules, don't ask an elder for their opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit