" Worse things happen at sea " My wife`s recent experience.

by smiddy 9 Replies latest social current

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife just recently got back from the "cruise ship" from Dave`y Jones locker ,( hell) I`m not sure if it made news anywhere else in the world but it sure did here in Australia.Wife and her sister were on the" Carnival Spirit" 12 night cruise to the South Pacific Islands .2nd day out they had to try to skirt a cyclone , yet were still buffeted by strong winds and heavy seas .My wife suffers from Parkinsons and takes medication for it , and has always been a bit of a panic merchant ,that`s just her nature Coming home ,they encountered a Catergory 2 cyclone that prevented them entering Sydney Harbour due to the rough seas . 7 to 9 metre waves were the norm , with a few 15 metre waves thrown in.This lasted more than 48 hours , causing them to stay another night out at sea ,and missing their flight back to Melbourne.My wife did not cope very well at all with this experience probably due to her anxiety fear of water medication and some alcohol , plus the strong sedatives she was given { which she needed to cope } took a toll on her mentally .I was worried sick about her. Initially their were some issues with her sister that did not help matters either , though she did come good in the end.

Thankfully , since the medications she was given has worn off , she is slowly coming back to normal , however I think it`s going to take a few weeks .

Not being a medic , I think she had the closest thing to a nervous breakdown .

And to put things in perspective , she was not the only one who thought they were going to die.Many people on board were scared out of their wits.

I just thought I would share what we went through this past week as a family .

smiddy

• Freesoul
    Freesoul

Hey I saw it on the news, (Melbourne News) the waves were huge, I could't believe these waves were so big so close to the Sydney harbour.

Hope your wife is OK. Give her my love.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Will do Freesoul , thank you . Yes she is settling down a lot now, almost back to her old self . It was just stress and anxiety , plus the medications , but she is coming along fine and thank you for your thoughts,

smiddy

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    How horrible for her! Glad she made it through and hope she's all better soon.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sorry to hear mate!

Wish her well from us "apostates".

(Sidenote...I don't know what the appeal is with cruise ships?)

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Please tell your dear wife that I sincerely feel for her - for what she went through - and delighted to hear that she is rapidly recovering from her trauma. She's got the love of a good man to help her through anything! You deserve each other.

Best wishes.

• OzGirl
    OzGirl
    I saw that on the news as well. Glad to hear that your wife is recovering, Smiddy.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    More proof that were in the last days, lol
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sorry to hear of her woes.

I normally recommend putting an extra land day on either end in case there are delays that cause missing flights, but this past Dec/Jan, we had a flight home directly after our cruise because it just had to be that way to get the wife back to work on Monday. So I break my own rules sometimes. I also find travel insurance is cheap enough and worth it in such cases. I will typically buy it when visiting foreign islands/countries for the health insurance, but it helps if delays happen also.

Rough seas are no fun on a cruise. You didn't say if they offered a discount on a future cruise or anything of the sort, or maybe a reduction in the final bill. Although it's tough to go again after such a horrific experience, that's their usual remedy- as much as half off a future trip. I think you can gift that most times.

Our last cruise will be our very last cruise. Nothing went wrong, but my wife is just not up to the motion of the ocean. We will fly to our land destinations from now on. It's not for everyone. Too bad for me. I really like cruises.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thank`s Faye , yes she will be fine.

Will do Stuck , and I agree with you.

Thank you Searcher for your kind words.

Thank you OzGirl ,she is getting better everyday

LOL Crazyguy , funny thing was in her" state of mind" on the ship she started to think people were Demonized because many of them were going about as if everything was" normal ", it was surreal .But then she would think I don`t believe in Demons I must be going crazy.

On TheWayOut , Thank you , yes she had travel insurance , I think they gave each passenger a $50 credit and a free night , and I`m damn sure she won`t be going near the water ever again.

Thank`s again to all of you for your kind words and thoughts .

P.S. I just showed my wife this post and she adds her" thank you" to all of you as well.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit