Good ol' dress, grooming and entertainment

by comment 6 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

When did the phrase "dress, grooming and entertainment" become such a mantra for the Watchtower Society?

This may just be my impression, but in the late 1970's and early 1980's, there didn't seem to be a part on EVERY district convention and circuit assembly program about "dress, grooming and entertainment." But in the 1990's, there sure was.

Even as a faithful Witness, I started to find this emphasis a little embarrassing.

I mean, couldn't there be something more important to worry about? Couldn't we please have some more talks about environmental degradation or nuclear war?

You didn't see many people "falling out of the truth" as a direct result of their choices in "dress, grooming and entertainment."

Before the time when I had to quit associating, I attended every meeting and gave talks in the Theocratic Ministry School and Service Meeting, surpassed the congregation average in field service hours, and generally conducted myself as a model Witness.

I also owned some ripped clothing for daily living, wore my hair a little shaggy, and enjoyed listening to heavy metal.

And if I had not discovered all the problems with the Society's doctrines and policies, I would probably be carrying on just the same, whether it was the Hall or heavy metal.

To me, the emphasis on "dress, grooming and entertainment" is just another way for the Society to create guilt and control you. (You know, the sort of thing that Witnesses always ascribe to the Roman Catholic Church.)

comment

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi comment

Yeah I agree...the emphasis on grooming and entertainment is certainly associated with the WT's need to control and keep conformity. The problem I had with grooming and entertainment was that the elders had too much say. Usually they would lean on very old WT or awake articles...so out of date that it was pathetic. What could be quite acceptable fashion in today's world would be regarded by SOME elders as worldly or unbecoming a christian....because an old article said so back in 1972.

Beards were fashionable when Russell was alive...but became a symbol of rebelliousness in the 60's...and so any brothers with beards were overlooked for privileges or appointments.

Even entertainment changed...certain types of dancing were prohibited...I remember one CO saying that dancing was okay so long as sister's didn't swing their hips...pahleease!!!!

Beck

• dedalus
    dedalus

Dress, grooming, and entertainment are all outward and pretty easy to evaluate and judge. The cultivation of one's intellect and the careful exploration of one's spirituality, however, cannot be measured with a glance. The Organization, ever concerned with appearances, naturally favors the former.

Dedalus

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,

This is the Society's Holy Trinity of Superficiality.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I know of one MS who had to get a doctor's note in the 80's to be able to wear a beard hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• Xander
    Xander

Well, comment, I think you answer your own question.

Let's see:

1) The society wants to keep members
    2) The society defines a standard of living they think will keep members
    3) You were a member
    4) You did not maintain their standard of living
    5) You are no longer a member

So, in their eyes (since they think they have the truth), something must have corrupted you away.

See connection? I mean, really, how many ex-JWs continue living, dressing, and watching the same things that good, active, believing JWs do?

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • comment
    comment

Xander,

You may have a point, in terms of their point of view. My feeling is that I would have stayed a Witness despite not having exactly the "correct" length of hair or taste in music or whatever, if I didn't know the things I know now.

But for someone who wants an easy source of blame for my "demise," I guess that would fit the bill.

comment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit