Millions of abused kids in India

by fulltimestudent 1 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

From an recent overview in The Times of India:

India — a nation of child sex abusers?
    A survey conducted by Ministry of Women and Child Development in association with the United Nations Children's Fund ( Unicef) and a few Indian NGOs working for child's rights found that more than 53% of children in India are subjected to sexual abuse, but most don't report it. The survey was conducted in 2007 and covered 13 states across the country with a sample size of 12,447. NGOs are demanding an in-depth study to address the issue properly.

Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/people/India-a-nation-of-child-sex-abusers/articleshow/33611945.cms

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

From the same report:

Documentary filmmaker Sanjay Kumar Singh, who made the film Chuppi Todo — Break the Silence (2011) on CSA, says, "As per statistics, every second child in India is a victim of sexual abuse. Perpetrators are mostly known to these children. I took my film to various schools and children homes across the country to help youngsters recognize abuse, raise their voice against it and report it to a responsible adult. During these screenings, I came across many children who revealed that they have faced sexual abuse. It's a complex subject and needs to be dealt with great sensitivity."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit