"Happy Thanksgiving" by Jehanne McCulloch. in ASL. Anybody still laughing?

by hamsterbait 4 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Sorry to sound mocking. But after the thread on the Masturbation ASL vid, I decided to start looking for ASL poems.

I have already found dozens. Even with no translation they are so beautiful. Dont laugh at me...

I havent the time to learn embeddding in a thread. Look for them and can you put in links?

Some of them are truly tearjerkers....

HB

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Why would anyone laugh at you? I don't think anyone was laughing at deaf people. We/they were laughing at the ridiculous context, the looks of disgust, and the hand gestures. Seeing that just brought the level of disgust that the bOrg has for a normal human function to an all new low, at least it did for me.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

mrsJ -

have you watched any of these poems? I have literally been in tears...

Even though I cant make out what they are saying, it is so expressive. I think I know now why TS Eliot said you can be moved by poetry in another language you dont even know.

HB

• rebel8
    rebel8

Seriously, read pages 8-9 of the thread. The wts videos are victimizing deaf people with more brainwashing perversion than the other witnesses. No one is making fun of deaf people. Direct your anger to those who deserve it, the wts.

• jmorgan74
    jmorgan74

rebel8,

"The wts videos are victimizing deaf people with more brainwashing perversion than the other witnesses. No one is making fun of deaf people. Direct your anger to those who deserve it, the wts."

Italics mine.

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. If anything, the deaf people are achieving equal opportunity at becoming brainwashed the same as anyone else.

It's not the Watchtower Society's fault that deaf people haven't developed an adequate euphemism to convey sexual ideas without pantomiming the specific act, unlike other languages. I'll take every other deaf person's word for it on this forum that the way the Society has used ASL is within reason. Whereas some have stated that the deaf culture is simply more comfortable in conveying sexual ideas than those of us that can hear, which may be true, I think the disconnect may be far more likely due to deaf people not signing concepts like "masturbation" openly, in public.

I'm sorry, but if you make the "jack-off" hand gesture in public, whether you're deaf or not, I'm going to laugh.

As will 99% the rest of the world.

The fact that deaf people haven't developed an appropriate euphemism to deal with this just tells me that they don't do so normally, in public, with other people that can hear.

Thanks,
    Jack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit