Afghan girl from National Geographic cover found

by razorMind 9 Replies latest jw friends

• razorMind
    razorMind

.....does anyone remember the "girl with the green eyes" on that National Geographic cover (taken in 1984)? They've found and identified her, after 17 years. I thought it was pretty interesting, anyway.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/03/0311_020312_sharbat.html

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I luved my mum's National Geographic mags....they used to fascinate me...especially the african tribal women, their breasts were mesmerizing! I remember this girl...it's great she's still alive healthy...her eyes are absolutely haunting!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Razormind,
    Thanks so much for that interesting article! That's truly amazing.

• LB
    LB

Those eyes on that girl were amazing. Does anyone know her age now or at the time of the original photo shoot?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

LB,

Nat'l Geographic website says she is somewhere between 28 and 30 years old now, no one knows for sure--even her. That puts her age at the first picture somewhere between 11 & 13, give or take.

Amazing story. I'm going to watch the special this weekend.

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• LB
    LB

Free when is the special on? Is it on the discovery channel? I'd love to see it.

I was never certain of her age when the pic showed. She could have been young or in her 20's. But those eyes did haunt me. I wonder how the Taliban have affected her life, if at all. I wonder if America is helping her situation or hurting it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's been acclaimed as one of the greatest photos of all times.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

She is married with children now. She lives in a village, draws water from a well, etc... She never knew she was on the cover of

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've always wondered what happened to her. I'm glad she wasn't killed. She was a cute little girl. Life has been hard on her, but she's still an attractive young woman.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• LDH
    LDH

hey guys read the article!

it tells you when the show airs...

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit