JW hate group

by Wayward Son 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

According to Wikipedia’s definition ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_group), a hate group is an organized group or movement whose primary purpose is to promote animosity, hatred, hostility or violence toward members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc.… The Southern Poverty Law Center explains that inclusion of a group in the list does not imply a group advocates or engages in violence or other criminal activity.

Under the category of religious hate groups, Westboro Baptist Church was cited for promoting hatred toward homosexuals. Creativity Movement and Aryan Nation were mentioned as promoting racial hatred.

Is it a stretch to categorize the Watchtower’s rhetoric toward “apostates” as that of a hate group? Keeping in mind that promoting or engaging in violence is not required to be identified as a hate group, does the constant degradation of other religious philosophies, organizations and adherents constitute hate speech?

• Nambo
    Nambo

I seem to remember someone here in the UK reporting the Watchtower under new "hate crime" laws we have here now, for the recent Watchtower article calling Apostates mentally sick or somesuch, anybody know how thats progressing?

• ballistic
    ballistic

There was also a very disturbing article with words to the effect: "of course we can't use actual violence on apostates as it would break the law of the land" - does anyone have that quote and where it's from?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That quote is from the 1950s. They no longer have the guts to say it, they just quote the scripture and let the publishers draw their own conclusion.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Elders should Slaughter Apostates (but we never said that)(Nov 15, 2011 WT):

"The prophet Elisha sent one of the sons of the prophets to anoint Jehu as king and to instruct him to kill every male of the apostate house of Ahab-2 Ki. 8:28: 9:1-10." "though the thought of violence is unpleasant, we shoul realize that in those days, Jehovah used his servants to carry out his judgments....Today, no servant of Jehovah uses physical force against opponents of pure worship. "Vengeance is mine," God says. (Heb. 10:30) But to rid the congregation of potentially corrupting influences. Christen elders may have to act withcourage similar to that of Jehu.(1 Cor. 5:9-13) And all members of the congregation need to be detemined to avoid the company of disfellowshipped individuals-2 John 9-11." "Jehu announced that he intended to hold "a great sacrifice" for Baal. (2Ki. 10:18,19) "This is a clever play on words on the part of Jehu," says one scholar. While the term employed here "genetally means 'sccrifice,' it is also used of the 'slaughter' of apostates." "It is true that Jehu spilled much blood. Yet, the Scriptures present him as a courageous man.

(credit to the poster 'Punk' for the above post. Some reason this site wouldn't let me paste copied the cite, links, etc on the board that I've had to re- type the entire reference everytime. What I do wrong?)

• rekless
    rekless

The WTBTS loves being hated. On the other hand, they are the ones who hate all humanity even their own when one doesn't agree with

their doctrines no matter how many times they swith back and forth.

• Nambo
    Nambo

"Some reason this site wouldn't let me paste copied the cite, links, etc on the board that I've had to re- type the entire reference everytime. What I do wrong?)"

Same for me mostly, I use Firefox and I get a notice saying I cannot copy and paste, but I have found a limited trick, If I copy and paste into the post a reply box before I strart typing my message, I usually get away with it the once, thats how I did your quote, now if I try it again:-

nothing, I get the grey box up telling me its not allowed.

So what I sometimes do, compose your message elsewhere, even on an e-mail page, put in all the links you want, then copy the whole lot and just paste it here.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Thank you for the suggestion, Nambo! I have already tried all other options but nothing worked.

Back to JW hate group.

Wayward Son, You have actually brought out an interesting point that is common to hate groups. For example, there are two different options were offered in the Bible in handling wayward son/daughter. Stoning(Old Test.) vs Father of prodigal son(New Test.). Jehovah's Witnesses prefer a harsher stoning policy(strict shunning) instead of a merciful policy of father of prodigal son. This never even came across to my mind as a hard core witness. I even used to said that to my teenage children how they should have been stoned if we were in ancient Israel. Now that I no longer think like JW, I can hardly believe I actually said and thought such thing toward anyone, let alone my own children. How unmerciful and hateful that is!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I seem to remember someone here in the UK reporting the Watchtower under new "hate crime" laws we have here now, for the recent Watchtower article calling

Apostates mentally sick or somesuch, anybody know how thats progressing?

We were told that unless an act of violence was enacted, that was directly attributible to the article, there was nothing that could be done. Our complaint is still lodged with the police in Hampshire - so if you know of any such act of violence, let me know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit